Do you use cable extensions?
Jun 9, 2007 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a 'regular' stereo and a 'headphone stereo', am thinking of putting it all together. Unfortunately, my listening chair is about 10 feet too far away from where my gear would set.

Does anyone hear use 'cable extenders'? I have a pair of fairly high-end phones (Denon AHD-5000) and a SQ-84 amp, it's a pretty revealing setup. Audio Advisor sells a 15 feet Cardas headphone extender for about $150.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

-M

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 15
This is probably better suited for the cables related forum.

Anyway, I don't think it would be difficult to build a decent cable extender for much less than $150 if you're willing to DIY a bit.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spongezone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyway, I don't think it would be difficult to build a decent cable extender for much less than $150 if you're willing to DIY a bit.

Grado extension for me. No sonic differences with or without it with any of my cans.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 15
I use a 5m extension cable (Stax SRE-750) at a regular basis. Allows be to listen to headphones while I relax on the couch

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spongezone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For that much money, that cable extender had better use silver in it. A lot.
evil_smiley.gif
I simply buy a run of shielded 4-core cable from my local Jaycar/Dicksmith stores (Radioshack equivalent for you guys in the US) and terminate with my choice of jacks. They cost me only around $10-15.

To answer the original question: I use it only when I have to. I can hardly hear any signal degradation either. It may sound so very slightly warmer but it's certainly not enough to bother me.

Cheers!

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 15
Speaking of cable extensions, anyone know where I can get a good quality, but cheap (Paradox I know) ~1foot (or less) 3.5mm extension cable? Wanna use my SF5Pros with my PC, but the cable wont stretch that far
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 15
I have a couple of Radio Shack extension cables. I have tried to hear if there were any audible differences between straight out of the amp with just the HPs and with either cable, none, I hear no differences. Save your money and get a $10 Radio Shack cable.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 15
I use a 30' extension made by Canare starquad and Neutrik, far far below $150.00 mark, and a few hours of work, I still have one around 25' that I do not longer use, that I could sell you if you like for far less than 150.00, but not that far...LOL...

All I can tell you is that using the UE9 one of the most revealing heapdhones I have heard, there is absolutelly no difference with or without it, the Canare mic cable is an excellent value cable, completelly transparent, I owned the Grado one, and sold it, the Canare is simply a better approach cost wise...

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 15
I use a a cheap coiled one that stretches to about 10 feet or so for TV viewing late at night.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado extension for me. No sonic differences with or without it with any of my cans.

x2, I use mine all the time with great results.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 15
Agree with some guys. DIY for cheaper cost. Nevertheless, if you don't have experience in DIY an extension cable, and don't mind in spending some more, then Cardas or Grado extension cables can save you some time to enjoy more music.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 15
I have a silly little ten foot connector that showed up in my electronics junk drawer some bunch of years ago. It's so cheap it even has 1/8" connectors on it. But yet the difference between it being in the circuit or not doesn't seem to matter.

...works just fine for TV viewing with either my MS-1 or HD600.

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 15
My AKGs have very long cables that reach everywhere I want to listen, so I never have to use an extension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never use them, but I have been known to use hair extensions.

In places people don't normally use them.
redface.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My AKGs have very long cables that reach everywhere I want to listen, so I never have to use an extension.

In places people don't normally use them.
redface.gif

I think my underarm braids are quite attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back