do you use an "uninstaller" for your mac?
Dec 19, 2006 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bpm2000

500+ Head-Fier
I was under the impression that you could just drag the apps into the trash and that was that but this seems to not be the case.

What, if any, app are you using for the removal of programs and have you tried a few, and can offer some comparisons?

I am trying to decide between getting a free prog or paying for something like appzapper.

thx!

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Another reason OS X is superior. Leaving a preference file on your computer won't raise havoc with a competing app. You could say the same about the app itself. Plus finding the related files is approximately 317x easier than on Windows (which I also use).

I received AppZapper free in a package from MacZot, but manually deleting the apps is easy enough. I rarely use it.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 9
So when manually removing programs, what else should I be doing other than trashing the item in the apps folder?

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 9
No, I don't!
I just delete the Appname.app and its corresponding .plist file.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I don't!
I just delete the Appname.app and its corresponding .plist file.

That should do the trick unless you're trying to remove all traces of the program's existence from your machine.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 9
agreed that an uninstaller is unnecessary with most mac apps since the .app is usually a package that contains all of the files the app needs...that and the .plist file in your preferences folder should be all that needs to be deleted.

however, i do use AppZapper since it's quicker, plus it allows me to get rid of widgets, preference panes, etc. easily.

Dec 19, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 9
I have AppZapper, but there are only two times at most I've had to use it to get rid of a program. And that's only when there was a program that starting acting really intrusive and wouldn't leave my computer.

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 9
Same here, Appzapper all the way and a little Onyx from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back