Do you travel with your Full size high impedance headphones?
Apr 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 33
I would say that if you took the amp with you as carry on (in some padding of course) then if/when they ask you about it you can be there to take it out, turn it on, and repack it, and whatever other rigamarole they have for stuff like that. The headphones will pass through in your checked luggage easily, but as carry on might get stopped because of the long cord. Or of course you could just ship it as above.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 33
The only reason I got decent full-size headphones is because I couldn't travel with speakers (although Grado's aren't exactly high impedance). I've had to make a few moves for work lately (a couple of months here and there) and didn't fancy trying to move a full size hi-fi set-up. Having said that thanks to Head-Fi my headphone set-up is now pretty big and heavy.

For holidays I make do with my IEM's because I'd rather travel as light as possible to give my shoulders an easier time with all the heavy camera gear I like.

I've had problems with weight and size going through airport security, but not with anything else (except lately for drinks bottles). Once I took a full-size desktop computer (wothout monitor) with me as hand luggage. I had to get permission from the captain and crew but they're pretty willing to please (it was pre sept-2001)

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to threadjack, but this is actually something I've been thinking about lately. In Fall '10 (I know, I know: it's still a long ways off!), I will be heading to France to study/work for a year. My current setup is Keces DA-152 > Sennheiser HD-600. I love this setup (a lot!), and it would work fine abroad because of its switchable voltage. However, despite the fact that its a relatively small system, it will still take up a lot of valuable packing room in my suitcase, and I'm afraid of security issues (the Keces has to look like a bomb under the x-ray!) as well as chance of it getting damaged in transit.

I've been thinking lately about leaving the Keces/Sennheiser system with a friend while I'm gone, so that it will stay safe and also see some use, and just taking my "transportable" system instead: Leckerton UHA-3 (portable DAC/amp) > Ultrasone HFI-650. This is a fine system, as well, but can I survive a year with just that?! I don't know...

Thoughts?

I flew from Oakland to Los Angeles with my W5000 and Keces DA152 without any problem.
tongue.gif

I carried both of them with me onto the plane. The W5000 was in a flight case and the Keces was in my backpack.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never have..fearing airport security mite give trouble over the full size amp.

or the headphones mite break.

what are your experiences?

Full sized headphones are way to cumbersome to travel with. I use Grado SR325is headphones for home use and Westone 3 / Shure SE310 for traveling. These are especially great for airplane use do to the sound isolation properties.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 33
I've flown domestically a few times with a pair of full size headphones and a portable amp in a carry-on and never had a problem. That includes one time at LAX when a TSA guy had me empty everything in the carry-on for his inspection. My headphones and amp made it. A can of Diet Coke that I forgot was in my bag got seized.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #24 of 33
I fly with whatever headphones I want. Last few times it's been the PortaPros. The general thing is they take up absolutely no space if you keep them around your neck. It's just a matter of taking the headphones and player and popping them into a bin at security. When they're x-rayed, slip em back on. Much more convenient when traveling alone. I don't know about hard-to-drive 'phones though... I don't have any that REALLY fit that bill, and I don't have a portable amp.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #25 of 33
I used to carry around my Hd-600s for really long flights (US to Asia). It can be something of a pain to make sure everything is stowed safely, but there's nothing like magical music for a super long trip.

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #26 of 33
I frequently travel back and forth in a car between san jose and san luis obispo (~3 hours) and have brought my headphones, dac, and tube amp with me. I use the original packaging I got from the sender along with my own bubble wrap for protection and have not had any problems. As far as flying though with air regulations I'm sure you could call ahead and ask about size and weight policy for carry on.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 33
i fly all the time with portable amp and fullsized headphones, carry on. I would never check any of these items. just like a laptop, check it and you have at best a 50/50 chance it will show up on the other end!

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #28 of 33
Travel heavily with my 770 Pros. Waiting almost 3 weeks for my Fiio 3 to mate with them. Feared TSA agents having a full tillt convulsion being exposed to my Cmoy altoid.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #30 of 33
I travel with my AKG K 530s, which are LARGE headphones (slightly bigger than the K 701). Never had a problem before, although I have to carry them around my neck in airports because they don't fit in my bag (and they're so big I can't move my neck at all when I have them on). At least I know I get to listen to some nice high-quality audio on the plane though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back