Do you think they will ever make a portable player that can hold 250+gbs, for large flac libraries ??
Oct 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 17
The iBasso DX50 should support 256GB MicroSDXC when/if they become available.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Oct 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 17
  Memory tech is constantly progressing. It will get more and more common. 

And any players that support full size SDXC cards (not micro, and not HC - I would be wary formatting such a large card to FAT32) - today the Hifiman 901 - are already there with the help of Lexar. 

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-256GB-Memory-LSD256CTBNA600/dp/B0090BEWKY

I have to disagree.
32Gb players were already sold 10 years ago, and despite SSD having become popular and affordable, music players haven't followed the trend at all. Your everyday players are still somewhere between 4 and 32Gb, which is just nonsense...

Having a player with 64Gb memory is still a rarity, and completely overpriced, when a 64Gb memory stick or micro SD is less than 50$, go figure...

And I'm not even talking about having 128/256Gb players with additional slots. It should be common nowadays, but some reason, it's still not available.

We have HD/full HD marketed everywhere, high quality, high resolution, high everything, but memory is the one thing not progressing in portable devices... as if companies were trying to push for people to be constantly connected to the cloud to access data. Given the piss-poor state of mobile data networks and their unavailability in remote areas, I find this pathetic.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 17

I have to disagree.
32Gb players were already sold 10 years ago, and despite SSD having become popular and affordable, music players haven't followed the trend at all. Your everyday players are still somewhere between 4 and 32Gb, which is just nonsense...

Having a player with 64Gb memory is still a rarity, and completely overpriced, when a 64Gb memory stick or micro SD is less than 50$, go figure...

And I'm not even talking about having 128/256Gb players with additional slots. It should be common nowadays, but some reason, it's still not available.

We have HD/full HD marketed everywhere, high quality, high resolution, high everything, but memory is the one thing not progressing in portable devices... as if companies were trying to push for people to be constantly connected to the cloud to access data. Given the piss-poor state of mobile data networks and their unavailability in remote areas, I find this pathetic.

There has been a slight trend towards that in phones. But to me, expandable memory through sd slots makes way more sense than anything else. Hifiman and iBasso have gone to SDXC. More will follow suit.

Seeing as the market for DAPs is dominated by the iPod, which is available today in 160 GB form, and it has climbed steadily and constantly since release. So you can't be using that to substantiate your argument.

And remember, there was a drop in capacity when we switched from predominantly spinning drives to solid state, but we have still seen a growth in capacity.

Here is the iPod classic:

Gen 1: 5GB, later 10GB
Gen 2: 10/20GB (5GB Gen 1 available at lower price)
Gen 3: 10/15/30, which was later chagned to 20/40
Gen 4: 20/40/60
Gen 5: 30/60
Gen 6: 80/120/160

iPod Touch (Which, due to physical limitations has less space):
Gen 1: 8/16 32 added later
Gen 2: 8/16/32
Gen 3: 32/64
Gen 4 8/32/64
Gen5: 16/32/64

Note that the touch has only had a 64GB option since 2010, 3 years. 

Google Music gives you 20,000 songs worth of storage for free. Not for everyone here, but it's available. 

Players have moved from supporting the original SD format up to 4GB (Sansa Shaker, Sansa Express) to SDHC up to 32GB (Fuze, Clip+, Clip Zip, Hifiman 6XX and 801, iBasso DX100, et. al.) to SDXC sky's the limit (Hifiman 901, iBasso DX50). SDXC hasn't been implemented in players super quickly, but what do you expect? It takes a while to roll out new tech. And Sansa will support it, I am sure. Sansa players are made by one of the biggest players in storage.

If you're talking about boutique manufacturers, they're naturally going to be implementing new tech more slowly, because they have less cash to invest.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 17
But here's the thing, 97% of all consumers dont have more than 64gb of music. How a company justify a product for an already small niche market inside another small market sector?

I created a thread asking how many GB of music do you currently have: You could answer us to obtain more data for statistical purposes among headfiers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686353/how-many-gb-of-music-do-you-have

I was thinking about a player with usb 2.0 input to connect HHD, however, it does defeat the portable purpose. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 17
  But here's the thing, 97% of all consumers dont have more than 64gb of music. How a company justify a product for an already small niche market inside another small market sector?

I created a thread asking how many GB of music do you currently have: You could answer us to obtain more data for statistical purposes among headfiers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686353/how-many-gb-of-music-do-you-have

I was thinking about a player with usb 2.0 input to connect HHD, however, it does defeat the portable purpose. 

Not only that, but streaming services are growing in popularity. I actually pay for Google Music's streaming service, so I can basically play any song I want. I use my DX50 for FLAC with jazz, and genres that I really like while working, and that I want to sound great. But when I am in the car, for example, I don't mind listening to Ke$ha over a streaming service. I mean, I actually have a Ke$ha album that I bought on CD and ripped to FLAC, what a waste. Sounds like **** through my good headphones, but if I am just having fun with friends (or by myself, what of it?) rocking out in the car or something, it sounds fine. And, honestly, I think Google music really opened up a new level of quality, you can force it to always stream 320k MP3s, and if you're on Verizon 4G, they sound pretty solid.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 17
You could always do this.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 17
And what portable player you think recognize WiFi frequencies? Maybe a phone?

Ummm ... every iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch), and every Android tablet and phone?
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 17
  But how long does the battery inside the hhd last? It has to be connected... 

Seagate claims 10 hours.  I haven't tried a run-to-zero test yet.  Cnet has, and this is what they say:

The most impressive thing about the Wireless Plus is its battery life. During the testing, I constantly used some five Wi-Fi devices with it and was able to get more than 11 hours out of one charge. Expect even longer battery life if you have fewer devices or use it sporadically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back