Do you think the Beatles Rock Band game and Remasters will have any impact on...
Aug 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 25
It'll do ok. Wont be the greatest selling game or anything. Far from it. The series has been milked a bit too much like someone mentioned before. But it will definitely sell, and do considerably well. But itll never be a classic or something that will be remembered or reminisced about in the future.

I'm also going to contest the post stating that Beatles are more popular than Michael Jackson world over. In the western world, maybe, but if you are going to consider the entire world, even people riding rickshaws for a living in India know who Michael Jackson is, but only middle class and above know Beatles and not all of them mind you.

Pink Floyd can't even compare, can't be on the list, I can confidently say all relatives in my family who hail from a previous generation will have no clue who they are, most might know who the Beatles are but I am 100% sure every single one of them will know who MJ is, and this is not because of what happened recently, I could've said the same thing a few years back as well.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll do ok. Wont be the greatest selling game or anything. Far from it. The series has been milked a bit too much like someone mentioned before. But it will definitely sell, and do considerably well. But itll never be a classic or something that will be remembered or reminisced about in the future.

I'm also going to contest the post stating that Beatles are more popular than Michael Jackson world over. In the western world, maybe, but if you are going to consider the entire world, even people riding rickshaws for a living in India know who Michael Jackson is, but only middle class and above know Beatles and not all of them mind you.

Pink Floyd can't even compare, can't be on the list, I can confidently say all relatives in my family who hail from a previous generation will have no clue who they are, most might know who the Beatles are but I am 100% sure every single one of them will know who MJ is, and this is not because of what happened recently, I could've said the same thing a few years back as well.

Well I can assure you this......the Beatles are quite popular in India.....and George Harrison is considered somewhat of hero in Bangla Desh (a country for whom he did great service).............

If you take all of Michael Jackson's work with the Jackson 5 and solo career and compare international sales to The Beatles (just the 7 year span forgetting about any solo material) the Beatles have outsold Michael Jackson in the hundreds of millions!...............

If you include the solo careers of all four members, you will multiply that difference even more........but lets not forget that Michael Jackson's height was some 25 years ago, whereas the Beatles height was 40 years ago. Let's also not forget that Michael just died and his name is tossed around the international media for a bit......

The Beatles have sold more records than Michael Jackson in nearly every country on the planet....end of story

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 25
Dude, stop being a fanboi and beating anything against the beatles down, its just friggin annoying.

First off, are you from India? If not, you have no basis for argument. I am not comparing album sales, I'm talking sheerly about knowing who they are PERIOD. I am not talking about the number of fans or followers or the number of people who bought their records, I'm just talking about the number of people who can recongnize their names.

Your argument for 40 years vs 25 years is the only valid one IMO. Also I clearly mentioned my statements had nothing to do with what happened recently, I couldve said the same thing a few years back, READ MAN.

You have absolutely no fricking Idea how big MJ is in Asia. I am not talking only about people who are into music. I am talking about the entire demographic. Even people who absolutely dont listen to western music at all know who MJ is.

Anyway I dont want to derail this thread any further, but dude, seriously cut the fanboy crap, I love the Beatles as well, I'm just trying to be realistic and not OMG OMG they are so awesome OMG OMG

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 25
I'd be shocked if anyone in their teens or early twenties didn't know of the Beatles. If anything they are almost guaranteed to know of them since their parents most likely grew up listening to them. This is the US I'm talking about.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, stop being a fanboi and beating anything against the beatles down, its just friggin annoying.

First off, are you from India? If not, you have no basis for argument. I am not comparing album sales, I'm talking sheerly about knowing who they are PERIOD. I am not talking about the number of fans or followers or the number of people who bought their records, I'm just talking about the number of people who can recongnize their names.

Your argument for 40 years vs 25 years is the only valid one IMO. Also I clearly mentioned my statements had nothing to do with what happened recently, I couldve said the same thing a few years back, READ MAN.

You have absolutely no fricking Idea how big MJ is in Asia. I am not talking only about people who are into music. I am talking about the entire demographic. Even people who absolutely dont listen to western music at all know who MJ is.

Anyway I dont want to derail this thread any further, but dude, seriously cut the fanboy crap, I love the Beatles as well, I'm just trying to be realistic and not OMG OMG they are so awesome OMG OMG

if you don't like what i write, don't read any of my further posts.............I was responding to your ascertation.............The Beatles have sold more records in most parts of Asia than Michael Jackson.....One of my closest friends is from Pakistan, and he himself would admit to the Beatles being more popular in his native country than Michael Jackson

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

I was responding to your ascertation.............The Beatles have sold more records in most parts of Asia than Michael Jackson

You weren't, that was my point. I was not talking about record sales at all. Let me put it this way, if you walk down a random street asking everyone you see who the Beatles are and who MJ is, I can bet more ppl will know who MJ is, and in all probability the people who know who the Beatles are probably know who MJ is as well.

Your response was completely irrelevant to my argument which is why I lost my cool. I was never talking about record sales, record sales is completely moot in this argument because hardly anyone over there even buys music. Piracy is the NO.1 form in which ppl get music there, and if anyones buying music, its pirated mp3 cds with entire discography of an artist. Before you say anything else let me also explaing how the transition was made. The tech boom took us straight from casettes to pirated cd's. There are but a precious few stores even in the major cities that even sell original cd's, and even those priced at equivalent of 10-15$ is considered expensive and not worth it, when you can get all the albums that artist released for the equivalent of 2$. This is how the market operates over there, so record sales is just plain rubbish when you start considering the rest of the world, it might be relevant only here.

The whole George Harisson is a hero in Bangladesh was another reason, Bangladesh being the equivalent of one state in the entire subcontinent.

I'm sorry though for derailing this thread, its not relevant for the topic.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be shocked if anyone in their teens or early twenties didn't know of the Beatles. If anything they are almost guaranteed to know of them since their parents most likely grew up listening to them. This is the US I'm talking about.

While I'm sure they know of the Beatles, I think you're a few years off the generation thing. Today's teens and college kids mostly have parents who would identify as generation X. It's not exactly the peak demographic for Beatles fans and I doubt their kids are either. The junior boomers or whatever are probably late 20s, got hair cuts and real jobs by now (or maybe not jobs with the way things are going).

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 25
You remember that big mess over John saying the Beatles were bigger than Jesus? Well, I look at it this way:

Many people are over the idea of religion because they have had it shoved down their throats since birth and expected to accept its ideals as the be all and end all. In America this applies mostly to Christianity, its followers (most of whom inherit this title) being expected to look down on all other religions and view their's as the one and only true and best.

The First Church of the Fab Four now fall into this category. Yes, the beatles made some really good music. They did a lot of things before other people. They also copied a lot of others and got lucky enough to make it into the mainstream before they did. Oops, blasphemy. Not many will question that they inspired bands and artists for many years to come.

I don't see this as solid reasoning that everyone should like the beatles. or that they are the unquestionable best band on earth. or that anyone who disagrees is misguided and ignorant. I also don't see this as a valid reason for a rhythm-based video-game utilizing only their music. Part of the appeal of these games is the variety. And the challenge. Beatles music is not generally that challenging. Fun for a party, sure, but up the alley of the kind of people that play these games religiously? Doubtful.

Maybe this will sell well. But if it does, there is always the chance that it will be the name and legend alone making these sales. Or the fact that MTV and VH1 are doing the time-warp and shoving it down everyone's throats during the music video blocks and during commercials.

I love songs like Blackbird, Hey Jude, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I Want to Hold Your Hand and many others. But a lot of their music is purely and simply pop. There is not great meaning to be found in every song. And some of them can become outright fatiguing before the 3 minutes is up. I have a feeling many people feel this way but when asked will reply "OMG I love the Beatles!" because, well, street cred is everything I guess. And much more important than a real opinion.

I, for one, remain ambivalent.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #24 of 25
.... I dont think that it will be a big hit. Sure people will be exposed but.... overall how many people do you think will adopt it? For one if they don't like the genre then they will have a lower chance of picking it up.

2. Its freaking 200 bucks for the whole thing (which is the price of the lowest xbox 360) and I know that if people don't already like the beatles than they won't pick this up. It's just too expensive.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Finally, a few whispers straight from the horse's mouth. While we've heard rumor after rumor regarding the actual hardware to be bundled in with the sure-to-be-hot The Beatles: Rock Band, MTV Games, Harmonix and EA have come forward today with a few succulent tidbits to keep you interested until the 09.09.09 launch. We're told that the Limited Edition Premium Bundle will include the game itself, a Höfner Bass (which will undoubtedly do Sir Paul McCartney and southpaws the world over no favors by being right handed), a microphone, a microphone stand, undisclosed "additional special content" and the real kicker -- a Beatles-inspired and Ludwig-branded Rock Band 2 drums, complete with a classic pearl finish and vintage replica Beatles kick drum head.

The whole kit is slated to launch worldwide this September, with USers having to pay $249, Europeans paying €199 and Britons paying £179.

Wow, more like $250+tax for the whole she-bang. Totally for the Beatles Extreme Fans.

I don't own a game console, so I was hoping it'll be ported over to PC-->the xbox usb guitars plug right into the computer and works perfectly too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back