Do you think that the movie "Krampus" will be any good?
Dec 5, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #16 of 19

It Follows was a standout for sure. The Babadook was solid as well, but kinda mainstream, in the same way the likes of Sinister or The Conjuring are. There were better horror films out last year on the fringes - Creep, Alleluia, Starry Eyes, Over Your Dead Body, The Canal, Oculus, The Guest... preferred all of those to The Babadook.

I just finished watching the movie that I underlined in your quote. I don't know if I would really call that horror. 'The Guest' wasn't a bad movie, but I don't agree that it was better than 'The Babadook'. It kept me entertained, but the acting and the movie itself was a little on the cheesy side. In the same way that 'Revenge of the Sith' was cheesy but still managed to make me like it when I did not like it's predecessors in the prequel trilogy of 'Star Wars'.

I probably would've assigned about a 7 or a 7 point something out of 10 to the movie if the antagonist hadn't lived after being stabbed in the chest on top of all the other injuries he had sustained. That was a little over the top and unrealistic, even for a 'super soldier' like himself. So instead, 'The Guest' gets relegated to a 6.9.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 19
  I just finished watching the movie that I underlined in your quote. I don't know if I would really call that horror. 'The Guest' wasn't a bad movie, but I don't agree that it was better than 'The Babadook'. It kept me entertained, but the acting and the movie itself was a little on the cheesy side. 

Well, each to his own eh? 
wink.gif
 The 'cheesiness' of The Guest is intentional though - the movie clearly pays homage to 80s slashers, both in terms of its style and the plot. The synth score also points in that direction. And that's a large part of the appeal of that movie for me - it may not be objectively 'better' than The Babadook, but I preferred it (that it what I said originally by the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back