Do you think CDs are too expensive?
Feb 6, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #76 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I'm not sure that's any more true at $5 per CD than at $2 per CD. Why does it seem like we're judging what it ought to cost to produce a CD strictly by the materials cost of manufacture?

I realize there are things other than the cost of manufacturing a product that need to be considered, but if that cost to manufacture changes we should see a correlating change in the price of the product. When CD's were first introduced on the market they were expensive to produce... they are now VERY cheap to produce. Yet we still pay approximately the same amount in stores. And are the artists themselves seeing any of this new surplus income? I seriously doubt it.

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #77 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
And are the artists themselves seeing any of this new surplus income? I seriously doubt it.

Most aren't, though there are an increased number of popular independent labels and distribs (CDBaby is a local favorite) coming out specifically because of this. This is why yourmusic/bmg has such a limitted selection. No one with half a brain will partner with them any more.

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #78 of 93
As a typical budget minded student....I'd say they cost too much. Also sometimes albums are relatively short and jsut don't seem like much of a value. $15 isn't alot of money.....but when you really like music and wide variety of bands....its a ton of money. If the album is really good, comes in nice packaging with good album art and all that stuff.....then I don't mind buying it. I also find that I'm more willing to buy an album of a band that lets peopel record their concert and put them up for free download at like archive.org. Mostly becuase I know what songs I like and what albums to find them on. And as support for the band for being cool like that.

Feb 6, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #79 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Most aren't, though there are an increased number of popular independent labels and distribs (CDBaby is a local favorite)

Yeah, CDBaby is great and they have some good music.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #80 of 93
So for yourmusic you can't just buy CD's, rather your charged $5.99 a month for acess of $5.99 CD's?

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #81 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
So for yourmusic you can't just buy CD's, rather your charged $5.99 a month for acess of $5.99 CD's?

At yourmusic.com, you're charged $5.99 each month regardless of whether you have a CD waiting to be shipped in your queue. If you don't have any CD waiting in the queue, you get charged for $5.99 for that month and gets nothing. On the other hand, if you have a CD in queue, then that CD gets shipped and you are charged for $5.99 + tax. Once you signed up, you can add CDs to the queue (or delete) as often as you like. At any other time, you can order CDs at $5.99/disc + tax (including shipping). Also, they are 2 disc titles that are charged at single disc prices.

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #83 of 93
Quote:

Yeah, CDBaby is great and they have some good music.
wink.gif

A friend of mine works for HostBaby (part of the same company, they do web sites for the artists, he's become friends with several artists this way
smily_headphones1.gif
), and I know a couple people on CDBaby, so I'm a bit biased
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #84 of 93
I love half.com, I just bought survival by Bob Marley for $6 shipped sealed and Sound System by Steel Pulse for $18 shipped sealed. That normally would have been $50 shipped!

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #85 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
A friend of mine works for HostBaby (part of the same company, they do web sites for the artists, he's become friends with several artists this way
smily_headphones1.gif
), and I know a couple people on CDBaby, so I'm a bit biased
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I know a couple of the trip hop artists on CDBaby as well... I haven't been there in a few months though. Probably some new talent.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #86 of 93
Quote:

I realize there are things other than the cost of manufacturing a product that need to be considered, but if that cost to manufacture changes we should see a correlating change in the price of the product. When CD's were first introduced on the market they were expensive to produce... they are now VERY cheap to produce. Yet we still pay approximately the same amount in stores. And are the artists themselves seeing any of this new surplus income? I seriously doubt it.

CD's first appeared on the scene over 20 years ago. To put things into perspective, you could buy a brand new loaded Mustang for something on the order of $18,000. That same car will cost you closer to $40,000 these days. I suspect that you'll find similar price increases for most things...it's called inflation and the time value of money.

So, if CD's are approximately the same cost that they were 20+ years ago, they have in fact DECREASED in price (when one considers the purchasing power of a dollar now vs then).

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #87 of 93
Quote:

CD's first appeared on the scene over 20 years ago. To put things into perspective, you could buy a brand new loaded Mustang for something on the order of $18,000. That same car will cost you closer to $40,000 these days.

Yes, but it wasn't the same mustang, that one was ugly and no one bought it.
smily_headphones1.gif

While not the best example your point is valid however.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #88 of 93
Quote:

So, if CD's are approximately the same cost that they were 20+ years ago, they have in fact DECREASED in price (when one considers the purchasing power of a dollar now vs then).

Ounce of gold 1986 = $337.00
Ounce of gold 2006 = $569.00

So about 168% inflation. So a $15 CD in 1986 should cost $23.92 in 2006 dollars.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #90 of 93
Quote:

Yes, I understand inflation... CD's have inflated over the years. I didn't mention it in my original post as I sort of took that for granted. When I said they are the same price, I meant relative to the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back