Do you think an iPod in the sleeve would get too hot in the car ?
Jul 18, 2006 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jerome G

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a 60 gig video and put a BSE on it. I have a Alpine headunit with iPod interface and I keep the iPod in the glove compartment.
I was thinking about keeping it in the sleeve that came with, while in the glovebox. I go on 2-3 hr drives sometimes and I know the HDD gets hot sometimes when it is on for that long(I usually shuffle the songs).
I also live in NY and it gets hot in the summer.
Do you think this is a bad idea ? Thanks

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 12
As long as its not in direct sunlight it should be fine. My car has a center console that I put stuff in, and its at least 20 degrees cooler in there than the rest of the car.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome G
I also live in NY and it gets hot in the summer.
Do you think this is a bad idea ? Thanks

Like now, it would be! It does not matter whether the iPods in another sealed case; there's no ventilation for its HDD. For a product that you'll use (hopefully) about a thousand times, the summer in the city will greatly shorten the life of the iPod's HDD (remember the hard disk is running much hotter than the ambient temperature).

If you couple that with the temp drop the iPod will experience everytime you wish to use it in the summer, you'll wind up with something wrong with it - better get the 2 year service plan before you cook it, then cool it!

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 12
thanks for the replies.
I keep it in the glovebox most of the time. It is very convenient not to have to take it in and out of the car everytime.
The center console might be a good idea, but I'm not sure about 20 degrees cooler.
I'm thinking that taking it out might be better, but other devices that are left in cars seem to be OK in general (i.e the headunit/CD player/DVD player and video screen)
Back to the question at hand, it seems maybe leaving it in or out of the sleeve will not make a big difference.

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Just don't leave it in a parked car. 2 reasons:
1) if a car is left in the sun everything inside melts. I left an orange the other day. It was cooked.
2) if they steal your car - at least they won't get your iPod
lambda.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 12
The thing you'll damage the most is the battery. Li-Ion batteries don't like heat.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

The other thing you could possibly damage is the screen. Having worked as a tech at a major retail place in the past I have seen numerous cellphone, PDA, and DAP screens crack and/or leak from excessive heat.

I've never seen a hard drive go out because of heat, really only batteries and LCD screens.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 12
I live in Arizona, so for me it's very hard to keep my DAP out of the heat. I take it to work and use it outside for ~4-6 hours a day. I've had 3 DAPs that I spent a lot of time with at work and none of them have had HD failures. After a year with my first DAP (Rio Karma), the battery was still functioning almost as new.

Jul 18, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son
The thing you'll damage the most is the battery. Li-Ion batteries don't like heat.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

The other thing you could possibly damage is the screen. Having worked as a tech at a major retail place in the past I have seen numerous cellphone, PDA, and DAP screens crack and/or leak from excessive heat.

I've never seen a hard drive go out because of heat, really only batteries and LCD screens.

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

Jul 18, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
I live in Arizona, so for me it's very hard to keep my DAP out of the heat. I take it to work and use it outside for ~4-6 hours a day. I've had 3 DAPs that I spent a lot of time with at work and none of them have had HD failures. After a year with my first DAP (Rio Karma), the battery was still functioning almost as new.

That's good to hear, I'll be joining you soon in Peoria. It's a little toasty out there also right now, huh ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back