Do you test headphones before you buy?
May 10, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 107
Most of the time. The GS-1000 I bought without hearing and still have them.

May 10, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 107
Nah, I let everyone else do all the work.

Seriously, though, there aren't many good places to try out headphones, but the reviews here can be extraordinarily helpful, especially when people compare stuff to gear you already have.

May 10, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 107
Meets are probably the best way for most of us to try anything beyond decent.

EDIT: I guess I should say that I made all of my purchases blind save for the hand-me-downs (K701, RS-1, and the since-departed Micro Stack) from my friend who introduced me to Head-Fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 107
Mostly buy blind.
Of those I own the SR-007 are the only one I listened to before I bought.

May 10, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 107
I have purchased all of my headphones based on reviews from folks here. It would be so much better to be able to hear them before buying them, but there are no retailers in my area that sell decent headphones, so I have had no choice.

As nibiyabi posted, head-fi meets are a great way of getting to check out different amps and headphones - (some of which you may never be able to afford like, at least for me, the R-10s that were at the recent Colorado meet.)

Holly

May 10, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #13 of 107
Even though I should, I don't. I just buy whatever looks nice. If I don't like the sound, I can easily resell it without losing much money.

May 10, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought all my headphones blind.

That's how you would need to!

I bet you build them that way too!

Anyhow, I bought all of mine blind as well. Not a lot of places to check out cans that don't frequest the racks at the local BB or CC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back