Do you take breaks regularly or even at all?
Jun 2, 2017 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Deftone

Headphoneus Supremus
Do you ever take breaks from listening to music? I feel that sometimes i will start to loose enjoyment no matter what i gear i use to listen with.

I think reading a lot on forums, reviews etc about audiophile gear and listening 2-6 hours a day can become quite overwhelming especially with me being an enthusiast i naturally analyze the sound quality instead of just 100% enjoying it.

Iv decided to take a week away from it all hoping to come back fresh.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 10
I was thinking about this tonight. I listen to music most nights, but we've been binge watching the new season of House of Cards, so I didn't have a real music session for two days. This accidental break made tonight's music sesssion much more satisfying. I think you are on to something.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 10
especially with me being an enthusiast i naturally analyze the sound quality instead of just 100% enjoying it
Good point. I enjoy listening to music, with good gear, pretty obviously since I'm here :wink: but do catch myself listening to the headphones instead of the music sometimes, when that happens it's time for me to stop.
Functionally, music works best for me when I'm either relaxing at home, sometimes as background when I'm reading, or as motivation in the gym. Both of those situations enable me to enjoy the power of good music when exercising, or the relaxing aspects when reading or just "chilling".
There have been periods, however, when I simply lose interest. I still use my audio gear for podcasts, YouTube, books etc, but music itself loses its impact. This has lasted for months, or sometimes only a few days. Although I'm invested in good stuff, I try not to obsess about the gear, and still enjoy seeking out new music, artists and styles, but like anything a break can rejuvenate the true love of music and like anything sometimes a break can make it all the better when putting on/in my 'phones and hearing something either powerful or simply beautiful again.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 10
I am reminded of the phrase, 'familiarity breeds contempt,' when thinking of my listening. I do believe that taking breaks helps me enjoy the music more fully. It is almost like I get sensitized to it after a while of listening. Coming back at it fresh allows me to hear more of the music and its infinite details.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 10
I'd go crazy if I had to go without music for more than a few days. Since I usually only listen to a few hours of music per day, the rest of the time is my break. If I were to listen for many more hours per day, it would become desensitizing.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 10
I generally tend to only listen to music at work. So a normal day for me would be :-

9-10:45 ish first session. Usually a double or live album depending on how I feel

11:00-11:15 break so no music and some welcome fresh air away from the monitors.

11:30-12:45 Music or audiobook depending on if I have any new ones to listen to or if I am in the mood for one (sometimes am, sometimes not. I find it ironic I spend all that money to block people talking out and then spend an hour to listening to people talking!).

13:00 - 13:30 Lunch so no music on and outside.

13:45 - 15:15 Either music or audiobook depending on what I feel like.

15:15 - 15:30 Last break of the day.

15:30 - 16:30 Music or a comedy if I fancy it, or sometimes I don't bother.

16:30 hometime, yay!

If I'm on holiday I'll take my walkman and headphones (no iems) with me but generally listen to something in the evening just before bed and that'll be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back