Do you spellcheck and/or preview your posts?
Jul 1, 2003 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Curious to see the posting habits of head-fiers. I do both most of the time, just because I'm a terrible speller and like to see how the post will read.

Do you think it's a good thing to re-read your post before you hit submit, if anything to double check to see if what you meant to say is being brought across the nether space to your readers? Someone said in the TIO thread about bitterness in the forum (found it, it's below) and I think it hits the nail on the head. The same can apply to e-mail.

I hope this post can stay here and not be moved to TIO.

To Mods: Let me know if the language of the quote is too TIO and I will edit.

Quote:

sarcasm and sense of humour do not come across well in ASCII. People don't know when you're being deliberately strident as an attempt at humor. One man's overly-strident is another's just plain mean, if you know what I mean. I mean, it's like a cultural thing. Some people are real sensitive about that stuff, having not been exposed to it too much, and cry like little girls at the slightest insult to their intelligence. Others are a bit more thick-skinned.

Also (sorry guys) you have to account the age factor. Some people just don't have the experience of dealing with trolls, and the ability to recognize them, and the wisdom to just ignore something like that.

Jul 1, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 28
That spell check program looks interesting. What I normally do if I think my spelling may be bad, is copy the post into Outlook Express as a new message and check the spelling there.
As you can tell, I don't do that Everette.
I do read through my post before posting but I don't use the preview function. I am already too slow now, I don't need any more steps to slow me further.

edit I just ran that spell checker that was linked above. Very nice.
cool.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
For you IE users: ieSpell add-on for IE

Works great!

Thanks for the heads-up Sol_Zhen...great add-on.
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 28
I just hit submit.

Quote:

Originally posted by Outdoor Man
I'l juust hid supmiete.

Peter.

I was gonna do the spelling error funny thing , but im too late. .(sigh). . .

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 28
Bah, using a program that checks your spelling for you is the wussy way. Every post of mine is personally checked for spelling errors. Note, I don't care so much about correct grammar.

Jul 1, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 28
no time to spell check. i try to have a median post time of no more than 15 seconds. which explains a lot.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 28
I preview. Which is the same thing as spellchecking for me since I'll catch any errors that way.

Sometimes I hit the post button though and have to read over my post and edit it
smily_headphones1.gif

Like I just did
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Sometimes I hit the post button though and have to read over my post and edit it
smily_headphones1.gif

That's call "postview" (as oppose to "preview").
biggrin.gif
And yup, I do that a lot.
tongue.gif

Edit: Opps, I just did it again!
redface.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 28
I do preview a lot, and I check to make sure nothing is obviously mispeeled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back