Do you solder or tension clamp that big old hunk of shielding on your RCA Cables?
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tlite

Head-Fier
Howdy all.

Quick question- I'm using Mogami 2964 for DIY interconnects. I find that twisting the shielding (which I wire to ground) is super bulky, and kind of difficult to solder neatly onto the RCA plug. Winds up really bulky and sometimes hard to get the plug cover screwed on over it.

Cable is this:
w2964.gif

FWIW: No problems at all soldering the core (hot) into that little 'U' shaped bucket thing.

Do you all solder the shield or just tension clamp the shielding with the 'wings' at the back of the RCA plug. RCA plug type like this one:

092-112_ALT_0.jpg

I'm thinking it might be 'cleaner' to fan out the shield after trimming, and fold it back along the sheath then clamp over it, but something in my brain says I'd be compromising durability and/or signal quality without solder...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 5
Howdy all.

Quick question- I'm using Mogami 2964 for DIY interconnects. I find that twisting the shielding (which I wire to ground) is super bulky, and kind of difficult to solder neatly onto the RCA plug. Winds up really bulky and sometimes hard to get the plug cover screwed on over it.

Cable is this:
w2964.gif

FWIW: No problems at all soldering the core (hot) into that little 'U' shaped bucket thing.

Do you all solder the shield or just tension clamp the shielding with the 'wings' at the back of the RCA plug. RCA plug type like this one:

092-112_ALT_0.jpg

I'm thinking it might be 'cleaner' to fan out the shield after trimming, and fold it back along the sheath then clamp over it, but something in my brain says I'd be compromising durability and/or signal quality without solder...

Thanks for the help!

I think I saw someone on Youtube do it crimped, but I wouldn't. I just made up an interconnect pair with Belden 1505F that has double braided shielding. A lot of wire. I divided the shield into left and right-side halves and soldered them both to the 'body' of the connector (Neutrik NYS373). It helped centre the core 'hot' lead in the connector. It's finicky but it worked.

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 5
If you use a little flux on the ground lug and tin it with solder first, it will be easier to solder the braid to it. Crimp the ears over the wire to hold it in place and then solder it.

Some of these connectors take three hands, it can be frustrating. At least if you crimp the ears it's easier than lugs which are not drilled and also don't have ears.

I have a couple of panavises and the vacuum bases never stay put. I need an assistant...

I don't like Neutrik plugs for many reasons but also because they're not drilled out. I think some of the Hicons are but I just can't remember at the moment.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Agreed. It needs to be soldered. Use the clamp on the RCA jack to hold it in place while you solder then center wire, then fold it back like you said - as long as you're certain the barrel will still fit over the assembly!

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Got it. I'll keep soldering them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back