Do you resample...
Mar 24, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 27
I use my card's resampling (X-Fi) normally. Game mode works well for general usage so I don't change things around, and I not notice any degradation. When I'm doing pro work I switch it to audio creation mode and disengage resampling.

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 27
Yes, to 88.2 because of discussions here and a review that specifically mentioned the quality of SRC on 6moons

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 27
No No No, I never do...have more respect for the DAC - it's DACs job to (up)sample, and it does it best.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No No No, I never do...have more respect for the DAC - it's DACs job to (up)sample, and it does it best.

The DAC does not upsample the PCM stream. The audio card's drivers (or Windows KMixer) do that, and do a pretty poor job according to most. Alternative software resampling, such as SRC, will do a better job.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 27
I use Secret Rabbit Code v1.03 to resample to 176.4 kHz.

Output to ASIO Hammerfall DSP > RME HDSP 9632 > AES/EBU > Chord DAC64 MkII

With resampling, the sound is more detailed. It is more vivid with better notes separation and more refinement overall.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 27
I have the digital output of my Audigy2ZS looped back into my 0404. The A2ZS only has 2 options as far as sample rate output, 48 or 96, so I picked 96. On the 0404 I have to have it at 96 also just so that everything works together. In foobar I resample to 96 which then goes right to the 0404.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewpy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC does not upsample the PCM stream. The audio card's drivers (or Windows KMixer) do that, and do a pretty poor job according to most. Alternative software resampling, such as SRC, will do a better job.

This statement it technically correct. However, with a proper setting of the software one could get a bit-perfect PCM to be fed to the DAC. There (rougly speaking) a reciever chip "refreshes" the data (buffer, reclock, filling missing samples etc.) and feeds the DAC chip. The DAC than does the real/proper/needed upsampling to the MHz range to do it's job right.

I played a while ago with our HP spectrum analyzer, feeding "properly" 2x resampled (48->96) sin waves PCM to Wolfson's DAC on AV-710 just to see the output. It might sound better, but looks worse (I'm not an expert, don't ask me why). Could be the resampler,

If it sounds better to you, sure go ahead...or try a different analog stage.

Just my 2c

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 27
TBH, I can't really tell the difference between the SRC, SSRC and PPHS sampling rate converters
frown.gif
I have yet to tell the difference between 44kHz and 96kHz, let alone different converters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back