Do you really need USB DAC on portable amps?
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

tohma

New Head-Fier
Pico, Predator, 2move, XM5 and many portable amps today have USB DAC.
But do you really need USB DAC?

I can't imagine how it works effective in "portable" situation.
The only portable thing what can output sound through USB is a laptop PC.
However, it's too heavy for portable source gear.

For home-use, there are many stationary amps and DACs.
They provide greater sound than portable due to clear advantages of size and power supply.

Then... do you really need USB DAC on portable amps?

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 34
I thought I'd use mine alot, so bought a Predator only to discover I hardly ever used it as a DAC with my laptop. So sold it a few weeks ago and never looked back. O it sounded fantastic both as a portable and as a DAC--just not fantastic enough to justify its expense.

Now I'm Hornet and Portaphile--until the next "urge to buy" arises

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 34
I think its more a question of do I need a portable amp on my dac with regards to the Pico I own.

I think portable amps are unwieldy and extremely not worth the hassle. The only time I can even sometimes bother to use one is for long plane rides and even then I am more wont to fall asleep than listen to music.

If I did a lot of plane rides/train rides/public transit/buses/subway type stuff then maybe it would make sense for me.

Do you actually use an amp in jogging/gym conditions? That seems like a pretty big hassle. Also those aren't really optimal environments as far as background noise anyways can you really listen critically? Meh. Whatever floats your boat I s'pose.

Now the tiny usb dac is a marvel as it perfectly suits a work rig and a transportable rig. And is optimal for meet conditions.

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depends on the definition of portable. If one travels in their work, cooped up in a hotel for a week, and music is stored on a laptop (FLAC for instance) you might feel a USB DAC is a great idea. I've brought full-sized can's on the road and it works just fine. To me a Pico adds essentually zero weight to the laptop I'm stuck carrying anyway.

If portable means 'walking around town' to you then a non-USB DAC probably fits your needs.

Also, it may help a bit when reselling. Take for example the case of Pico coming in both DAC and DAC-less versions. More people request the DAC than vice versa and one would be limiting the market buying DAC-less.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 34
I think the idea is to use them as transportables, not portables. People who travel a lot need a small DAC/amp combo for a laptop in a hotel room. I wouldn't want to carry a large dac and a separate amp with me when I travel. I don't listen to music all that much when I travel so I can't really justify buying an expensive DAC/amp for a few hours of listening every few months. I just use my iPod.

However, if I traveled frequently for work, i.e. without my wife, I'd listen to music a lot more and buy a small DAC/amp.

My bet is that a lot of people bought them and are using them as home DAC/amps.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 34
Short answer: No!
Longer answer: You don't. As they all accept line level input, which are what most portable players put out anyway.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 34
Well, I'll end up using my portable amp most at my office desk feeding it FLAC source files from my laptop, so, YES!

I've ordered a Pico. The fact that I can also carry it around, and use an analog input is just a bonus.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 34
i travel alot, so a dac works perfect for me when i'm working in the office, at the hotel, at a starbucks since my laptop pretty much goes wherever i go. i rarely use my imod nowadays except as a hard drive, so i might be selling it off and just gettng an actual portable hard drive.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 34
some of you have a good point. My own personal use is outside gardening, walking the dogs for three miles at a time, treadmill or weight routine at the gym, going to the library for research, and general "chillin" (on a sofa, or in bed)

Being out of the working world, I no longer have an office, no train rides or bus rides or any of that and have no use for the laptop/motel room scenario anymore.

and yeah, my rig is a bit cumbersome but put it in my headroom bag, clip it onto the shorts or pants and off I go. I admit it's not a "shirt pocket" situation but if I need that, then I go to the nano/IEM only and leave the Imod/amp at home.

O and if I am at the library, Starbucks or similar location working on the laptop I can always pull out the Imod/amp combination, put it next to me, and turn it on. Little more bulky but not that big of a deal

Just another viewpoint.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some of you have a good point. My own personal use is outside gardening, walking the dogs for three miles at a time, treadmill or weight routine at the gym, going to the library for research, and general "chillin" (on a sofa, or in bed)

Being out of the working world, I no longer have an office, no train rides or bus rides or any of that and have no use for the laptop/motel room scenario anymore.

and yeah, my rig is a bit cumbersome but put it in my headroom bag, clip it onto the shorts or pants and off I go. I admit it's not a "shirt pocket" situation but if I need that, then I go to the nano/IEM only and leave the Imod/amp at home.

O and if I am at the library, Starbucks or similar location working on the laptop I can always pull out the Imod/amp combination, put it next to me, and turn it on. Little more bulky but not that big of a deal

Just another viewpoint.

I'm confused. We're talking about the need of a portable USB DAC. You don't seem to need one, reinforcing the argument that most people don't need them, except for work/travel to listen to music from a computer.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 34
I purchased my first amp, the Soundrigor, mainly because it had DAC.

However, 8 months down the track, I find that I hardly ever use it with any computer source, and now I'm even tempted to get rid of it because my XXS has arrived.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 34
Buying a portable DAC/amp is sensible for those who travel and always have their laptop, as itsborken points out.

I bought the DAC version of Pico not for travel but as a quick way for great sound even when I'm sitting next to my AC powered amps and DAC.

I keep my Pico Velcro'd to my iPod. This way I can use USB or simply plug in the LOD to Pico analog input and I'm portable.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 34
I don't see myself ever purchasing a portable amp for portable use.

Portable headphone-listening is far from ideal to start with; Everyone is busy, streets are noisy,
headphones move around on your head and iems wiggle in your ear, and your ipod or sansa isn't exactly the most discerning source..

Add that to the fact that portable headphone/iems don't benefit very much from good amplification, and that's kinda like feeding 'premium' gasoline to a 1998 station wagon.
Now I'm not saying it doesn't improve the sound quality, but I'd rather invest in my home-setup before I start spending premium for hifi "on-the-go"
On the other hand, I could see myself purchasing a portable dac/amp solution to pair with my laptop maybe if I do my work outside the house often.. say I like to study w/ my laptop at a starbucks after classes on a daily basis or something... or I want to listen to music at the office, or I travel a lot and want good music at the hotel or whatnots.

Just my 2cents.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 34
I guess the DAC has been the 'must-have' feature! You know, the feature that seals the deal, but is rarely used (like the house with the 'grand dining room').

As one that travels quiet a bit for work, and spends a week in a hotel on a regular basis, then the DAC part becomes more useful. I have an ipod/IEM for traveling, but when sat in the hotel I'd use my laptop and full sized cans.
At the moment i'm still looking at buying a DAC/Amp portable, as I feel that the DAC is going to be the most important part of the combo, if I just use my Ipod then there is no need for an amp.

BT

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico, Predator, 2move, XM5 and many portable amps today have USB DAC.
But do you really need USB DAC?

For home-use, there are many stationary amps and DACs.
They provide greater sound than portable due to clear advantages of size and power supply.

Then... do you really need USB DAC on portable amps?

Very useful when I want to listen on my office PC or anyone else's (most of which are using the awful on-board). Definitely a better-sounding solution than simply hooking up a "DAC-less" portable amp to on-board sound. When it comes to hooking these amps to a portable player though, I agree that the DAC is not necessary.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back