Do you really hear differences in cables?
Nov 8, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #16 of 810
I heard an improvement in my perception of the sound with rainbow foil so I'm sure "cable" can stir your placebo emotions ...... if it rocks your boat it's doing a good job..........

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #17 of 810
The difference between the stock 580/600 cable and ANY aftermarket cable is so big that anyone and I mean also non audiophile types can tell the different with little effort. Of course you never ask if this difference was worth the money or made them sound better
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #18 of 810
uh oh, not rainbow foil. MS-2s look a little harder to open up than senns. i wouldn't want to damage my headphones trying to recable them. it's reassuring that people do it though, so at least i know that if i somehow kill my cable i can re-cable it

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 810
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
IC-wise, well... I have my severe doubts. I can't honestly speaking tell a difference worth a damn between my most expensive cable and cheapest cable (47x price differential between the two).

It's refreshing to hear someone admit that. We'd all be a lot better off (and spend our money much more wisely) if people would admit that some of our upgrades are complete bunk - or at least don't make a difference which some (if not most) ears spot.

Thanks for the post.

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 810
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
uh oh, not rainbow foil. MS-2s look a little harder to open up than senns. i wouldn't want to damage my headphones trying to recable them. it's reassuring that people do it though, so at least i know that if i somehow kill my cable i can re-cable it

You do know that the sennheisers' (580/600/650) cable can just be unplugged and replaced right? One reason why it's much easier to try different cables with them.

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #21 of 810
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
You do know that the sennheisers' (580/600/650) cable can just be unplugged and replaced right? One reason why it's much easier to try different cables with them.

yes, sorry i wasn't thinking when i said open up.. i just meant they were a lot easier than graddo, and even moreso metal graddo

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #22 of 810
Quote:

Improvement is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:

Using the Zu with my HD-650's I noticed it recessed the forward midrange, and opened the highs up a lot. An improvement and a big difference.

Yeah, I should have qualified that a bit- by "improvement" I'm referring to whether 'more' of the signal coming out of the amp is delivered to the phones, not whether it's modified in a way you happen to like.

Myself, I just want whatever my amp is generating to get to my phones cleanly and completely.

If the stock cable from Sennheiser can't do that, I think they'd like to hear so.

If the stock cable does do that and the phones sound shtty with it, I'll get better phones, not spend $200 on a cable to equalize the shortcomings out.

One man's opinion only- if the cable does the right things to the sound for your ears, I'm completely cool with it.

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 810
You don't have to *preach* your opinion my friend. Not everyone cares about what you like or what you would do. People are free to decide as they wish, beit a purist path or one that of their own personal sonic bliss. I apologize if I appear rude.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #24 of 810
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
Yeah, I should have qualified that a bit- by "improvement" I'm referring to whether 'more' of the signal coming out of the amp is delivered to the phones, not whether it's modified in a way you happen to like.

Myself, I just want whatever my amp is generating to get to my phones cleanly and completely.

If the stock cable from Sennheiser can't do that, I think they'd like to hear so.

If the stock cable does do that and the phones sound shtty with it, I'll get better phones, not spend $200 on a cable to equalize the shortcomings out.

One man's opinion only- if the cable does the right things to the sound for your ears, I'm completely cool with it.

You are on the right track man, dont look back
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #25 of 810
Quote:

You don't have to *preach* your opinion my friend. Not everyone cares about what you like or what you would do. People are free to decide as they wish, beit a purist path or one that of their own personal sonic bliss. I apologize if I appear rude.

How is he "preaching" his opinion?

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #26 of 810
Quote:

Just stating my thoughts on the subject at hand, kiro. I fully realize not everyone, if anyone, will give two squirts what I think.

However, if the OP asks "Do you really hear differences in cables?", call me nuts but something tells me he's looking for more than yes or no. As such, I felt it was worth clarifying that I believed there are indeed differences between cables, but that what those differences were actually accomplishing for the end listener seem to get glossed over.

Something good to remember, too, is that if you feel compelled to apologize, there's probably no "if" about it. No offense taken, though.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #27 of 810
I was fairly skeptical of differences in cables until I was trying out jerry1130's HD650 with the Zu Mobius. I heard a difference between it and my own HD650s with the Oehlbach cable (mostly tighter bass and a bit more detail), even though I really didn't want to hear a difference (for obvious reasons
wink.gif
).

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #28 of 810
I know what you're saying, but there seem's to a slight "air" of it. Not on you opinion of cables, but of your sonic preferences. You seem compelled to let everyone know of your "purist" taste, with a slight hint of elitism. I guess preaching is the wrong word, but I can't think of the right one atm. More along the lines of "saying it from the rooftops for all to hear", but not in such a large sense.

BTW, I'm, really not trying to start an argument or anything, I'm just very vocal about stuff. I'm not rude either, I would say closer to stubborn.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #29 of 810
Quote:

I know what you're saying, but there seem's to a slight "air" of it. Not on you opinion of cables, but of your sonic preferences. You seem compelled to let everyone know of your "purist" taste, with a slight hint of elitism. I guess preaching is the wrong word, but I can't think of the right one atm. More along the lines of "saying it from the rooftops for all to hear", but not in such a large sense.

you really are hellbent on getting banned huh?

Please stop attacking fellow members and only speak of the topic of this thread.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #30 of 810
I heard a genuine, noticeable improvement from a cheap generic IC and a Radio Shack Gold Series IC.

I'm really interested in trying a "high quality" power cord to see if I can hear any difference and/or improvement.

The best times in audio are when you expect a change to make your system sound worse, only to be pleasantly surprised
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back