Do you read the lyrics?
Aug 12, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #16 of 25
Now now, fellas, let's be nice!!
biggrin.gif

I always know/read the lyrics. Normally I can figure them out on my own but otherwise I do read them, because music is simply poetry with music added along to it. It's 50% music, 50% lyrics, so I must know the lyrics!

Plus, I listen to bands that almost always have superb lyrics. I am not sure about some CRAP like rap, hip hop, pop, etc. that may have meaningless, or as others have mentioned, disgusting, lyrics.

Aug 12, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #17 of 25
WHen i was younger, i used to read the whole thing on the CD (the lyrics, special thanks)...
but now, when i bought the CDs, i dont even open the booklets... there are quite a few CD booklets that i never touched and have no idea at all whats inside...

Anyway, talking about lyric... this is from the HDCD i mentioned on "HDCD list" thread....

It goes like this:

Oh… you touch my tra la la…
Hmmm…. my ding ding dong…

La la la la la ( a few times )

Oh…. you touch my tra la la…
Hmmm… my ding ding dong….

Deep in the night… I am looking for some fun…
Deep in the night…. I am looking for some love…
D-D-D-Deep in the night… I am looking for some fun…
Deep in the night… I am looking for some *BEEP…*

You tease me.. Oh please me… I want you to be my love toy…
Come near me…. Don’t tear me… I just cant get enough of you boy….

Oh.. you touch my tra la la…
Hmmm… my ding ding dong…

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Can find something more stupid than that ? hehe...

Aug 12, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #18 of 25
Sure I do, but I don't listen to the lyrics every time, but rather listen to the instruments (which the voice is part of).

Aug 12, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 25
read them? very seldom...

most of the time, I listen to music where I can hardly understand the lyrics anyway [i.e. Cocteau Twins, Slowdive]

Occasionally, I'd take a look at the lyrics if it's in some language I understand...

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #20 of 25
I never have the patience to follow lyric sheets so I usually don't bother, then find myself singing gibberish along to the song some time later. I have my own versions of lots of songs where most of the words are OK, but occasional words or phrases are similar sounding but totally different in meaning...

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
This from the guy with all the emotional lyrics in his AIM profile. Are you a 14-year old emo girl, Rizumu?

don't be jealous just because my music is better than yours and has lyrics worth quoting. :-*

Aug 18, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #22 of 25
It itches me when I don't understand what the guy is singing about... unless that singer has a good voice, then I don't care. But many songs are famous for their lyrics, and I want to know why.

Usually, I'm too out of it to pay that much attention to lyrics... so I could care less if a person was singing in gibberish (anyone ever heard the Chobits Soundtrack? ^^)

I'm not that fond of the singer in Offspring, but I do like their lyrics for the thought... one of the bands out there that I actually look for the lyrics to their songs.

Aug 18, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #23 of 25
I usually don't read the lyrics unless it's bugging me "what the heck is he saying?"

Aug 18, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #24 of 25
I almost always read the lyrics. for me it's a huge part of the music. i listen to mostly rock and musicians like maynard keenan, gavin rossdale, jack johnson, and plenty others write some great lyrics. then there are bands like At The Drive-in who are awesome, but their lyrics, even if you do know them, make absolutely no sense. then there is hiphop/rap/whatever you wanna call it, where lyrics are the main part. this of course begs the question why is only the worst possible hiphop with the most meaningless and uninspired lyrics getting all the attention? well that of course is a-whole-nother thread.

Oct 2, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #25 of 25
I'm just not much of a lyrics person.

But there is the occasional exception. For example, in Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains' Big Eyeball in the Sky, I read the lyrics to the title track, because they intrigued me, and I wanted to get them exactly right.

Interesting that someone who wrote lyrics like "big brown beaver" is writing something socially motivated, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back