do you read signatures?
Oct 13, 2005 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

heeeraldo

100+ Head-Fier
hey all!

a simple question: do you read signatures at the bottom of posts? why or why not?

I tend to read sigs from people whose opinions I trust and especially people who keep fairly regularly updated "five in heavy rotation"s.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 38
I read quotes and interesting signatures. imo the place for your gear list is the profile, where you can access it easily if you want to know what someone's listening to.

The thing that really gets me is computer specs listed in sigs (not on this site, but many of the younger head-fiers go to computer forums). Audio equipment I can understand, to get an idea if someone is talking about something they own, but computer specs? Who cares?

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 38
I read pretty much all of them.
biggrin.gif

I agree with computer specs, it's just dumb...
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor

The thing that really gets me is computer specs listed in sigs (not on this site, but many of the younger head-fiers go to computer forums). Audio equipment I can understand, to get an idea if someone is talking about something they own, but computer specs? Who cares?

Actually its a neccesity in some computer forums. If a poster has a problem with his computer, others will be able to diagnose his problem quicker and more accurately if they know his computer specs.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 38
I do read them. Created mine after I realized after reading a review or comment I almost always wanted to check the writer's signature to see equipment preferences. If there was no signature then I checked the profile.

What I have found some times annoying in signatures are quotes. Some are excellent though, but some are just awful, specially the self-authored ones. Once I almost mocked those by adding to my signature: "This is something I wrote. -Me"
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Actually its a neccesity in some computer forums. If a poster has a problem with his computer, others will be able to diagnose his problem quicker and more accurately if they know his computer specs.

Unless they have like 10 computers, then you really don't know which one.
tongue.gif

Not that I have 10 computers.

[size=xx-small]Actually it's eight....
biggrin.gif
[/size]

-Ed

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 38
I like to read sigs. I'm mainly interested in what equipment people are using. And based on the info I saw in sigs, I've PMed some users who had equipment I was interested in.

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 38
I'm in the habit of disabling any sort of forum signatures after visiting many forums where people generally have one sentence of real content and then a desktop-sized picture in their sig.

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 38
I like to read them... I think Usagi has one of the best but that's just because I'm a Star Wars geek
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie
I barely notice signatures and I almost never read them. To me long signatures seem a little narcissistic. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course.

MJ

i only read my own signature.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 38
Hehe I guess I'm some kind of signature addict. I do like sigs for a simple psychological reason: It'll tell you something about the person itself.

I guess each and everyone forms his or her opinion about the persons who post in this forums. You're reading a thread, post by post, and besides the information transferred through the post's content, you almost immediatly form an opinion about the author or adapt it for already known authors.

The signature is the spot where the author of the post at hand is able to present just about anything he/she likes to. For example if he/she has a quote in his/her sig it's most probably one which he/she finds funny, interesting or this quote might even sum up his/her ideas or attitude of life....
So it's actually telling you quite a bit about this person already.
Even if he/she just enumerates his/her HiFi possessions it'll tell you something, besides the contents, through the way it is presented.
I like to think of a signature (incl. the avatar) as the virtual "clothes" of the member, his/her outer apperance on the forum. Just as much as the outer appearance might tell you something about persons in real life it may tell you here on the forum.
I hear people screaming that it won't tell you anything if everythings just a fake. Nope, even in that situation it'll tell you something about that person!
You'll most likely find out about its wholeheartedness soon enough through the members posts.

Ah, I want more sigs! No sig also tells alot hehe.
biggrin.gif

Ciao,
Marcus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back