Do you prefer listening through headphones or speakers most?
Dec 4, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #31 of 59
I enjoy speakers by a long shot. They are so much better in every area. Argue all you want but you can't argue or find a scientific way to prove that I like them or don't like them more.

Headphones are much easier, more practical, and can keep it's soundstage while laying down. But if you have room treatment, are willing to sit in the sweetspot, and have lots of money and patience, speakers are the closest thing to live music. Period.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

speakers are the closest thing to live music. Period.

But what if we're not trying to replicate the live music experience? What if the music was never live to begin with?

I've found that just as certain types of songs sound better (to some) on speakers, certain types songs just beg to be played back on headphones.

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #34 of 59
I was just thinking about this question!!

Right now, with all the Christmas decorations up for the Holidays, my listening room is much more under control than during the remainder of the year and the speakers sound even better than usual! I can just plop down in my listening chair and listen without having to rearrange lots of stuff and add lots more!

Right now, I prefer to listen ....to BOTH!!

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to headphones out of necessity, not choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz's signature
Lavry DA10 -> First Watt F1 -> K1000s
Lavry DA10 -> ATH-W5000

I can't help but feel compassionate about your situation. I sure hope necessity will never drive me to such lows.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't help but feel compassionate about your situation. I sure hope necessity will never drive me to such lows.
wink.gif

Haha, well, what can I say, the K1000s are as close as I'm going to get to the speaker-experience in my situation. My walls are thin as paper, my room is small, cramped, and acoustically-challenged, I do most of my listening at night because I'm at school all day, and as a student, I move every year. So a speaker setup is pretty much out of the question for me.

Is my setup overkill for my situation? Probably a little bit, but it makes me happy and does it in a way that fits with my living style

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #37 of 59
I guess I'm crazy enough to have a speaker setup in the dorm room. Nothing special, just a couple of DIY bookshelves. I never heard truly high-end speakers, but I enjoy mine at daytime when the roommate isn't bothered.

To answer OP's question: it depends on the song, my mood, time of day, etc.

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #38 of 59
speakers all the way

i like to hear the sound in projected front of me, like how i would hear it at concerts, orchestras, live performances, etc...

i'll only use headphones when i'm away from my speakers

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #39 of 59
I'm all about portability and being on the move. The same reason why I prefer iems over cans. It's about the portabilty. Plus I can get great sound for a fraction of the cost.

At this point in my life I won't even bother buying a speaker set. Listening to music is a very personal thing to me. The only time I ever listen to music with other people is at Live shows....

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #40 of 59
I prefer my grados cos I don't have a good set of speakers. But when i'm tired of them try with my altec langsing speakers just for a while.

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #41 of 59
Speakers, but I rarely can bump my speakers to optimal levels (especially considering that I prefer listening at night), so I usually end up listening to my headphones more often.

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #42 of 59
I had to get good speakers in a good room before I could prefer them over headphones. While in my apt, I didn't really have the space and was using Silverline SR17 bookshelf speakers. Now that I have upgraded the speakers to fullrange and have a dedicated listening room, I prefer to spend the time listening to speakers. I have my systems setup so I can match the volume from the main system to that of my headphone amp volume and listen to the same song via headphones or fullrange speakers. I prefer the big speakers, but both are really nice.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dead of night /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I was listening through my speakers last night and they just did not sound as good as my Senheiser 650s did. Do you agree that a good pair of headphones will almost always sound better than speakers?

There is no substitute to listening to music through accurate, full-range speakers. The imaging, presence, and bass are all have the potential to be superior to headphones -- even the best headphones.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #44 of 59
i loooveee headphones, but I get really claustrophobic and after a prolonged period I start freaking out and have to use my speakers.

But when I listen to speakers, i'm usually not "listening".. I'm just passing the time, and usually singing along
smily_headphones1.gif

oh and sometimes I like using both at the same time, with my subwoofer all the way up so i can feel that bass thumping by my feet.. i like that it's not JUST around my head.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no substitute to listening to music through accurate, full-range speakers. The imaging, presence, and bass are all have the potential to be superior to headphones -- even the best headphones.

I absolutly agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back