do you populate C1 on pimeta? whoever coming in can enjoy my HD600 recable pics.
Nov 18, 2005 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
I am making a pimeta for my friend, just realized a question, do you guys populate C1 in pimeta? I read tangent explanations about input cap back when I was making my first CMOY.
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/input-cap.html
I know C1 is to remove the DC offset from source, I was under the impression that C1 is usually populated since nobody can guarantee a low DC offset source won't be problematic tomorrow and it's always safe to populate a C1 here. but unlike on MINT, tangent leave a trace shorting C1 for a reason, right? So, probably in his mind, C1 is NOT populated by default, right? I know that result in better SQ but what about protecting your cans? What makes PIMETA different from MINT so that the default C1 on MINT is not populated on PIMETA by default?

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 17
to thank those coming in to help me, or at least take time to read my questions, your reward is.... a couple of pics of my HD600 recable.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

cable008.jpg

cable009.jpg

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 17
Mogami 2534 quad, NEUTRIK NP3X-B, the pins are bought from another fellow Head-Fier.
about how to position the pins, there is a little trick, too tired today, will release detail tomorrow.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 17
why don't u post the senn recable info in one of the senn recable threads to make it easier for epople searching?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 17
I didn't populate the C1 on my PIMETA... But I keep an old meter sitting next to my desk (suprising how often it comes in handy) and I probably check my system offsets once every couple of weeks. (in fact, that reminds me...)

It's still living a bit dangerous, but I honestly don't lose sleep over it. I've never seen an amplified offset in my system (i.e. what the headphones see) over 10 mV.

Anyway its worth it to me just to not have to audition different caps until I find one I like (and can afford!)

Also, nice new cable... Gahh! I really need to redo my HD 580s... I swear I sometimes think I'm the only Senn-File still using stock cables!

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 17
If you're making it for a friend, I would populate it. Use a good quality cap, and save yourself the worrying. I'd feel bad if someone's gear got ruined because I didn't AC couple the amp I made them. For myself, I left it uncoupled.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Just curious, What do you lose by populating C1?

Sound quality, by putting a cap in the signal path..

But you also lose any source offset.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Sound quality, by putting a cap in the signal path..

But you also lose any source offset.

Thanks, is the SQ difference very nocticeable?

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 17
most likely yes, that's why they don't populate it.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Thanks, is the SQ difference very nocticeable?

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 17
As far as the SQ difference, I used to have C1 populated on my pimeta, and then removed it for the enhanced sound quality, and I don't hear any HUGE differences. Mind you, I have no way to A/B test, and I would never try to claim anything unless I can at least A/B two devices. I brought my pimeta (with C1 populated) to a meet and it was well-reviewed by a number of fairly well-known head-fi'ers. Keep in mind, if C1 was really that detrimental to the sound of the amp, it wouldn't even be an option.

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 17
I had initally 2.2uF polyester caps in my A47, and I wasn't happy - low bass/boxes were definitely smeared; with .22uF polypropylene it was even worse. I ended up shortening the input and the sound improved quite a lot...no need to A/B really.

So IMHO the diffrenece is not huge, but it's definitely percievable. I never tried, but I guess with a better choice of cap(s) that could be minimized.

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 17
what was the impedence of the resistor after the capacitor?

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 17
Nov 18, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 17
Sorry diablo, my post was in response to Xakepa's A47. The resistor I was referring to is the equivalent of R2 on the pimeta. That and the capacitor set the pass frequency of the filter. I was just thinking that Xakepa's experience might been because of a poor choice of that resistor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back