Do you play jazz?
Dec 19, 2002 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
Let the interrogation begin. Oh, and vote in the poll; you may vote more than once if you play more than one instrument. DO NOT vote with bogus responses (if you don't play a jazz instrument for example) or I will be dissapointed. Thanks.

Le interrogation:
(you may answer the questions that most appeal to you, if you'd like, but the more the better).

On which instrument(s) do you play jazz, if you play? What brand instrument (i.e. Selmer, Ibanez, Bach) ?

How long have you been playing? How do you classify yourself: Professional, semi-professional, near-professional-level of playing, intermediate, beginner?

Who is your "idol" ? And other favorite jazz musicans?
Which jazz musician are you not particularly fond of? (No rants!)

From whom do you take your riffs/licks when you "borrow" riffs?

Do you improvise? To which songs?
What key is your favorite?

Are you a member of a combo (trio, quartet, etc.) or a big band? Name?

Top three favorite jazz recordings?

That's all for now. Vote in the poll! I'll share my opinions a little later.

Dec 19, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 3
I checked Drums and Congas... there's more than that to jazz percussion, but that's all you put up.

Haven't played in a while, but I used to play in school and I had my own small combo. Used to have a small Tama kit with some nice Zildijian K Custom cymbals and a vintage Ludwig snare. Also had some Toca congas, old timbales, Adams xylophone, and tons of classical percussion instruments.

Been playing for about 8 years (damn, it doesn't seem like that long, I'm only 20). I would consider myself a semi-pro player (my combo could make about $300 a gig when we had things going).

I love Jack Dejohnette, Max Roach, Buddy Rich, and try to incorporate parts of every drummer I admire.

I just picked up a guitar, and am getting into some jazz guitar playing. I'm liking that a lot as well, and its more fun when you're playing alone.

Dec 19, 2002 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm pretty much a intermediate electric blues/rock guitar player who just discovered jazz a year ago. When my amp is working i play a gibson les paul goldtop thru a fender deluxe reverb amp. I typically play with a little reverb dialed in on the amp.

My favorite jazz guitarist are Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery, and Tal Farlow. I "attempt" to play some of their songs via various guitar tab books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back