Do you play Chess?
Aug 25, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #16 of 31
Used to play every now and then on yahoo chess, MSN Zone, and various java applets before that. Used to be in the chess club at my middle school too.

Now, not so much anymore but I'd like to get back into it. It seems everyone has moved on from those golden days.

Aug 25, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #17 of 31
I used to play when I was 13, 14, evne in some local events, but now I really sux, not sure if I still remember too much of it....

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #18 of 31
I don't play myself, but I've got some friends that can play 3D chess in their mind! They name x,y,z coordinates! I mean how crazy is that?!

Aug 25, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 31
For some reason I figured there would be a lot more chess nerds here.

I played a lot when I was in 6th - 8th grade. Went to several tournaments and best I ever placed was 4th at a statewide tournament. I actually played in the championship game but lost and due to the points system, those with 4.5 points trumped my 4.

Like most of you my former self could probably smoke the me now, but I still play 10-20 games a year.

A yahoo tourney would be awesome! Great idea!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 31
I suggest a FICS tourney :p

I just hope I would get paired up with sucky people to start with so I don't run first round into the inevitable IM lurking on head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #23 of 31
I used to love chess!!

I always played when I was 3rd 4th grade, then stopped and started again later. I used to play against computer programs rather than play online as well, I haven't played chess in quite awhile though so I'm not sure how I would go but I don't think I'll do very well now, since its been so long.

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #24 of 31
I play. I remember once moving to a new town when I was teenager. My mother wanted to help me meet new people so she found a chess club. I played a member and I got my butt beat so bad it's not funny.
But that did encourage me to study a bit and learn a few basics so that I can beat the casual player, but that's about it. I don't think I rate on any scale. It's just a bit too mentally fatiguing these days.

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #25 of 31
I know how to, but very seldom play.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #26 of 31
Yep but I am not that good.

Aug 26, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #27 of 31
I never learned to play Chess, but always wanted to. However, there are plenty of things I've wanted to do a lot more, but have never done either (learn to play piano, sing in a band, etc).

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum
I prefer chinese chess

yep, the koreans call it "Changi" and my grandpa taught me how to play it when i was 12. i still love to give it a go, but no one else i know really wants to play it, bah.

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #30 of 31
I have been a chess nut since Fischer played Spassky... for fun, in tournaments, intramural, speed chess, (double) bughouse, 5 minute, 3 minute, 2 minute... just about any variation / abomination face to face imaginable with chess pieces and a board, clock optional.

Funny, I learned at a local (Dallas) chess club, playing guys rated in the 2000 range (I'm 1340 uscf, so not great), where I'd get 5 minutes, and they 30-45 seconds... at $1 a game - really cheap lessons from Master level players for about $10 an hour.

Of course, it cost me less the more they drank... but that was half the fun.

Chess is, believe it or not, a really social sport - if you have a certain level of competence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back