Do you pick up hitchhikers?
May 30, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #46 of 103
I've never actually run across a hitch hiker, but I've given many rides, and stopped many times to help people in broken down cars. I've been helped in the past, and I feel that its a risk worth taking, especially when someone else is in trouble.
Although, back in Des Moines I did do something stupid and gave a hooker a ride home. (her's not mine). Now when I think about it, I'm lucky she wasn't packing.
I also drove a lady down to the grocery store to get diapers for her kid. She never payed me back, but I wasn't all that concerned with it. I doubt she would be able to sell the diapers anyway, and I kept the reciept.

May 30, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #48 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
the weapon she was packing is every bit as dangerous as any gun could ever hope to be !

Fast,bloodless,deadly..........

Yeah, to the dumbass who buys her "services". I just drove her home, but it was still a stupid thing to do.

May 30, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #49 of 103
Quote:

I just drove her home, but it was still a stupid thing to do.

But doner for the right reasons.Doing for others is not a bad thing but sometimes when the risk factor is added batter to just say no.Yeah,each case is different but say you were pulled over for some minor infraction (seat belt not on for instance) and drugs were found in your car or on a passenger ?
Guess who is going to the lockup for simply being the car owner ?
Not that i am against giving rides as stated earlier in the thread but all things must be considered and being naiive won't cut it with johnny law.Everyone ever pulled over says the same thing

"not mine"

And that is why the driver is held responsible always even when that person had no clue.Common sense says hookers and drug abuse go hand in hand but your humane side says do for others.Tough call man.One that can be dangerous or one where you do a good deed and get lucky

May 30, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #50 of 103
I knew she was a junkie. Then I realized that if a cop had pulled me over, I'd get nailed for whatever she was carrying, and probably for solicitation.

May 30, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #51 of 103
and to be honest I would have given her a ride too.Junkies are also people and taking a chance is not a bad thing.Not the smartest thing but humans screw up.It is what we do best
icon10.gif

May 30, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #54 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I am wary of both hitchhikers and those who pick them up.

I wonder if there are situations where both the hitchiker and the driver both have bad intentions for the other, and when they realize they are both crazy they become friends.

Interesting that you mentioned this situation. I saw a short indie film on pbs's imagemakers a few months ago: The guy with the car is a serial killer that drives around the countryside looking for student hitchhikers. He picks em up, then stabs them in an isolated area. One day he picks up a young man that turns out to be a fugitive murderer. Don't remember if they became friends or killed each other though...

May 30, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #55 of 103
<this post not aimed at anyone in particular>

What's the big deal with dying? Would you rather die old and someone who never helps people out of fear, your last thoughts being that you could have done so much more good in the world had you thrown caution to the wind and been selfless and Good at all times, or die DOING just that... helping someone. Personally I would rather die helping someone. A life lived in fear is a life half-lived.

Granted, my family would suffer because of my death, but they would gain strength knowing that my death was courageous. This happens with the young men who die in Iraq; the families are heartbroken at a bright future cut so short, but do not dwell on it depressively or anything like that. In fact it helps them, because they gain so much strength and pride from the fact that their sons *willingly* put their life on the line for a greater good.

Now, are you the kind of person who willingly sets his life aside for others in need, or the kind that stands back in fear of personal endangerment?

May 31, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #56 of 103
I have heard that things are actually safer now than in the seventies.

May 31, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #57 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
I always hear warnings like this, but I havent yet heard anything bad from reliable sources (news or people I know). Are things so different in the states or is this just a public misconception?

I would just do a google search for these words "murders hitchhiking" and see how many killings begin with someone hitchhiking.

I suppose I should tell my ONE hitchhiking experience. One night it was raining and I saw a pretty girl hitchhiking. I had never picked anyone up for exactly the reasons that google search will reveal, but I was 21, she was good-looking and it was raining. She gets in the car. Pretty hot looking but something was wrong. That slightly upset, wacky look in the eye. The girl proceeds (in her white-trashy accent) to tell me how she just smashed her boyfriend in the head with a tire iron, he's unconscious and bleeding from the ears, and she's running off the her aunt's the hide out! Jesus! I'm like, "Great, Brad! Nice job breaking your own rule! You've just picked up a homicidial nut!" So that's my ONE hitchhiking experience. You extrapolate from there the odds of getting a looney in the seat next to you...

May 31, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #58 of 103
Quote:

"Great, Brad! Nice job breaking your own rule! You've just picked up a homicidial nut!" So that's my ONE hitchhiking experience. You extrapolate from there the odds of getting a looney in the seat next to you...

In my case pretty damn good !
evil_smiley.gif

With me driving there will then be two looneys in the same car.

[size=large]BALANCE DUDE ![/size]

May 31, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #59 of 103
Quote:

I have heard that things are actually safer now than in the seventies.

I see the opposite.Far less hitchhiking but more horror stories says the odds of something bad happening are much higher.

May 31, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #60 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I would just do a google search for these words "murders hitchhiking" and see how many killings begin with someone hitchhiking.

I suppose I should tell my ONE hitchhiking experience. One night it was raining and I saw a pretty girl hitchhiking. I had never picked anyone up for exactly the reasons that google search will reveal, but I was 21, she was good-looking and it was raining. She gets in the car. Pretty hot looking but something was wrong. That slightly upset, wacky look in the eye. The girl proceeds (in her white-trashy accent) to tell me how she just smashed her boyfriend in the head with a tire iron, he's unconscious and bleeding from the ears, and she's running off the her aunt's the hide out! Jesus! I'm like, "Great, Brad! Nice job breaking your own rule! You've just picked up a homicidial nut!" So that's my ONE hitchhiking experience. You extrapolate from there the odds of getting a looney in the seat next to you...

Haha, your name is Brad.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back