Do you (or will you) tolerate your kids music?
Dec 15, 2002 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chillysalsa

Headphoneus Supremus
Having grown up with parents that kept telling my to 'stop brain washing myself with that horrible noise', I sometimes wonder if I'll be open to the stuff my (future) kids will listen to. I can't imagine myself objecting to even the most abrassive sounds: death-metal, gangsta-rap, psycho Japanese noise-art, whatever - I find something to like in it all. So I wonder what I would tell them to turn down? I'd worry if they got into stuff like Pulp, Frank Zappa, or other material intended for mature audiences at too young an age... so a little chit-chat and parental guidance would be warranted.

But what would really dissappoint me is if they just limited themselves to Top 40 pop music.

Dec 15, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 11
i would say DONT limit your kids music Ive been listening to many cds with teh little sticker since i was about 8. My parents wouldnt alow it but my friends would and i have to say that thats what got me interested in music and shaped alot of my life.

Dec 15, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Well what if they get into the future equivalent of NStink, eminem, limp bizkit 'n ****?
wink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 15, 2002 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Put them up for adoption?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I second that motion... But I feel sorry for there eventual recipients!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 15, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 11
Personally I am glad that both my teenage sons have avoided the "gangsta rap" stuff. Subsequently, I didn't have to tell them that it was crap....they recognized that for themselves. Interestingly enough, my older son is getting me to listen to some if his heavy metal music. I find it interesting not for the imaginative use of music theory in their compositions but for the energy and drive that accompanies that genre. My younger son is a tad off center, for his age (14) musically speaking, he likes Gershwin.....

Dec 15, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 11
I cant beleive what kids are listening to for the most part. When i was 8 i was listening to blood suger sex magi - RHCP mos of the time. now its mostly crap. I was blown away though when my 11 year old sisters brought a friend home and she was talking about how metallica S&M was her favorite CD. That was the moment i knew that there was hope for kids today.

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 11
I am not an adult, so I'd like to put all of this in the persective of a kid:

It is hard for me to understand why adults think that if kids listen to music that has the PARENTAL ADVISORY sticker on the cover, it will make them bad. I have felt that through experience, that music with bad language helps me let out anger that most teenagers have. This helps me avoid getting into fights and lets out un-needed energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back