Do you often find people think you're crazy spending over $20 on headphones?
Nov 30, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #136 of 147
A couple years ago during the holidays, before I even joined this illustrious forum
smily_headphones1.gif
, I went out on a mad shopping spree at the local mall with a few out-of-town cousins. I think I had about $400 in my wallet, and a yearning to buy a new toy. So I decide to visit the Sam Ash (okay, not the best place to buy cans, but at least their prices weren't so bad), to check out if they had the HD-280. I was still in college, and in a video production class, so I thought an analytical, studio quality, closed headphone for editing would be a nice choice.

Their recording/studio equipment dept. didn't have a great selection, but at least they had what I was looking for. I don't exactly remember what I paid for them (probably the full retail price
eek.gif
), but I was happy. Of course, like most of you already experienced, my family thought I was nuts (though my dad understood since he had both the Bose Wave radio/CD player AND AcousticWave music system and enjoyed them both, and in the past, had a small vinyl collection that he often played on his Marantz turntable, cassette deck, stereo amplifier, and Bose bookshelf speakers). But hey, hobbies have a price, and some are more expensive than others. No one should tell you that how much you spend on a hobby that you thoroughly enjoy isn't worth it, especially if those dollars are hard-earned. Though I'm probably going to never tell my family that I spent over $600 on an amp and headphones over the past few weeks
biggrin.gif
I'm pretty sure my mom's got me and my dad beat with her porcelain figurine collection.

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #137 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
I'm pretty sure my mom's got me and my dad beat with her porcelain figurine collection.

Exactly. People will always freak out over what other people are into and have spend money on.

I mean, there are fan forums for flashlights...FLASHLIGHTS! People spend large chunks of cash on flashlights!

I don't get it...but I sympathize with their obsession.

Nylan

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #139 of 147
What people really find crazy is the $ I spend on music each week. Today was payday, so I just bought about $175 worth from Amazon Prime.

I must say, all the talk about Headfi killing you're wallet PALES in comparison to music and Amazon Prime. (Prime = 2 day shipping as default, w/ speed priority, rather than shipping everything when ready).

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #140 of 147
Several years ago, when I saw that a pair of IEM cost >$300(that is Shure E5C),I thought that people buying that are surely insane.
But after trying from Shure E2G and step into the road of Hi-Fi, I have bought many stuff like Super Fi. 5 PRO, Westone ES3, Beyer DT880, etc.

I understand that why many people think we are crazy, they haven't tried those earphones/headphones and will certainly not realize how great and wonderful they sound.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #142 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by williamchc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several years ago, when I saw that a pair of IEM cost >$300(that is Shure E5C),I thought that people buying that are surely insane.
But after trying from Shure E2G and step into the road of Hi-Fi, I have bought many stuff like Super Fi. 5 PRO, Westone ES3, Beyer DT880, etc.

I understand that why many people think we are crazy, they haven't tried those earphones/headphones and will certainly not realize how great and wonderful they sound.

its even worse when you let people try your expensive earphones (with other tips obviously) and they turn around to say ''hey, i dont get it, you can get that sound from a cheap pair of £5 earphones!'' now that really gets my goat! they simply dont understand the differences they are hearing and cant be convinced the difference between hi definition and ordinary sound ARRRGHHH!
mad.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #144 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its even worse when you let people try your expensive earphones (with other tips obviously) and they turn around to say ''hey, i dont get it, you can get that sound from a cheap pair of £5 earphones!'' now that really gets my goat! they simply dont understand the differences they are hearing and cant be convinced the difference between hi definition and ordinary sound ARRRGHHH!
mad.gif

Yup. Never lend your IEM (esp those expensive one) to your friends (excluding those Hi-Fiers).
I have heard many stories about somebody lend their IEM to his friends, then their friends just plug them into their ipod, insert them like inserting a pair of ibuds, and MAX out the volume
eek.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #145 of 147
^that would suck. Anyways i just got my DT770's and my dads like how much did you buy them for? I said $150. And he flipped out. I was like "dad you don't understand" he was dumbfounded... people just don't understand....

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #147 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people I know can't seem to wrap their head around spending over $20, let alone $100 on a set of headphones. I was at the UPS store today shipping my E3g back to Shure and when I asked to insure the package for $200 the lady looked at me like What.

How do you try to explain it to them? I try to tell them that they changed how I listen to music and that it's very worth it as a fan of music. I remember when I was buying crap headphones they were always breaking and that there was always some sort of headphone drama going on. I couldn't hear stuff while riding the bus because of the noise, something snapping, sore ears. Just a lot of focus being on the pain in the ass of headphones and not a focus on whatever it was I was listening to.

They just sit there in disbelief that a set of headphones could be worth $200+ but then they go on to tell you about their new Bose sound system. :/

-Re: oringinal post

TOTALLY know where you're coming from! My best response is say, "you paid how much for your iPod and how much for the tunes just to have everything you paid for sound like garbage as it's pumped into your ears?"

I personally have paid well over five hundred for 3 full-sized iPods (over time) and well over fifteen hundred dollars in CDs and downloads. For me personally I think adding less than one percent of the amount I already spent to invest in the device I'm actually listening through is more than reasonable.

As for speakers versus cans, different strokes for different folks. And for people who criticize a choice of headphones over a stereo system, I just remind them that I choose to have the music pumped directly where it is going--my ears. Plus, I can use them anywhere while they'd need at least a very large wheelbarrow and portable generator to accomplish the same portability with a theatre system while looking quite stupid, annoying confused onlookers, and losing all sound quality, not to mention fear of damaging not-inherently-street-worthy machinery
biggrin.gif
. Given the two options I'll spend moo-la on cans which I think is sensible for my portable needs. But as I said, "Different strokes for different folks."

-drkphoenix

P.S. As for BOSE speaker systems (they like it all caps, I guess), I don't feel comfortable commenting on their brand of speakers because I haven't heard them live (except of course in Best Buy's stores with Best Buy's music on Best Buy's display).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back