Do you often find people think you're crazy spending over $20 on headphones?
Oct 17, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #76 of 147
As of right now, I'm a closet audiophile. I don't mention that I'm into these high-end IEMs/phones, or that I buy $100->$300 interconnects/HP-cables to further enhance the sound, or all small (pricey) amps I'm hording. It just seems uncomfortable when I think of the possible strange looks and astonished jaw drops from my peers if I tell them. Since I don't want them judging me in that sort of way("you're crazy to spend that much for that crap"), I'll stay kaput about what my hobby is.

...but it sure would be nice to find a cutie that's into audiophilism too
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #77 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a co-worked raving about his new toy. Went back to his office, and he had a new Zen Vision M. And he proceeded to talk about how wonderful it sounds. I asked him what HP he used, and he told me the buds that came with them. I just laughed and said brb, went back to my office nd got my AKG K26P's and let him listen to them, on his Zen. The look on his face was priceless. Until I told him they were a 40-60 dollar HP. He said "why did you make me listen to those. Now I gotta spend more money.." Some people would never spend the money, some will, it just depends on how serious they are about LISTENING..and not HEARING the music.

LMAO...you're my new hero.

I have to do this to my classmate who keeps his iPod on all day; he just uses stock buds, nothing else. I'm thinking of splashing him with a pair of Yuins when I get them, the cheap koss ksc75s, or a pair of grado sr-60s that a friend of mine has...so many axes to grind
evil_smiley.gif

I've already tried my younger sis who religiously listens to her minidisc player (which does sound quite nice), but simply will not accept any headphone that isn't a modern clip-on style.

The only converting that I've succeeded with is someone online who had money to burn. After a 2-hour burn in session, he's become enamored in his phones. Hopefully the gateway audio-drug hasn't been too potent.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #78 of 147
and to think that was just with AKG K26P! imagine if you had some grados

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #79 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisco82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and to think that was just with AKG K26P! imagine if you had some grados

Exactly..imagine if I had my K701's with my amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
..but they never leave the house. The K26P's have to do for work..sealed back..fairly portable.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #80 of 147
20$? 20$ is quite a lot for the people I know [for headphones].

I actually never thought 20-30$ is a lot for a headphone, I thought its pretty good however, and thats what I used to buy myself [and even then people said im spending a lot on headphones].

I have to tell you though, this site has an effect that slowly changes your prespective about headphones and prices o.o.

If a few months ago 200$ for headphone seemed like a LOT of money, now it seems like something I just need to save for a little more, LOL!

-Jo

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #81 of 147
My dad has been in the car and home audio business for about 20 years so he kind of understands. He still usually frowns on my headphone purchases but he was impressed with my Denon D1000. I don't think I could ever convince him to stick an er4 in his ear, though.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #82 of 147
What I hear constantly from people my age is "bass is all that matters" or "music is just bass" or "why would you listen to headphones, there's no bass?" [while listening to my darths, no less!]

It's become extremely aggravating to try and have a conversation about this, so I don't bother anymore. If they want to have three subs and one tweeter in their civic and call that a primo setup then by all means...

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #83 of 147
This type of attitude is even more prominent if you have in ear monitors. I keep getting the wow just use ipod buds or wow $80 for buds with a fancy name? (er6i). ya... kinda annoying.

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #84 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I hear constantly from people my age is "bass is all that matters" or "music is just bass" or "why would you listen to headphones, there's no bass?" [while listening to my darths, no less!]

It's become extremely aggravating to try and have a conversation about this, so I don't bother anymore. If they want to have three subs and one tweeter in their civic and call that a primo setup then by all means...

I hate people like that.

They want their music to be fill with a bunch of bloaty "brooom" sounds without any distiction between the bass, literally just one tone over and over....

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #85 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate people like that.

They want their music to be fill with a bunch of bloaty "brooom" sounds without any distiction between the bass, literally just one tone over and over....

I feel that I'm not exaggerating if I say that 8 out of 10 people at my college think this way about music. It doesn't differ noticeably from very intelligent students to just so-so students, everyone has the same narrow view about music while simultaneously proclaiming "music is my life." I should add that they all tout how amazing their campus store bought skullcandy headphones are.

My dorm window is over the main road in and out of campus, and roughly every 20 minutes my room rattles from the bass coming out of cars going down the road. I don't mean I can hear it, I mean it literally rattles the entire room, papers move around, water in cups jumps, the whole deal. I can't imagine being inside that car...

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #86 of 147
My friends say that my 650's sound same as some other headphones for about 20 pounds....hahaha it is so funny lol they all think that it is just waste of money and that ipod headphones sound better....haha i always lough at them
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #87 of 147
For me, I don't even bother telling people how much I spent on my UE11's if they ask, since they could never understand why and then you always get the whole Bose is the best discussion...

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #88 of 147
Having a highway behind my house AND living in South Florida I know what you mean.

Every couple of minutes I hear one go by
frown.gif

I don't see the point in buying something that doesn't really do anything besides damage your hearing and annoy other people.

I wonder what they would do if they were forced to listen to IEM's (the bass-light kind)? They might actually hear.....voices....and....is that a guitar...wow...cymbals....

Ok my rants over
580smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel that I'm not exaggerating if I say that 8 out of 10 people at my college think this way about music. It doesn't differ noticeably from very intelligent students to just so-so students, everyone has the same narrow view about music while simultaneously proclaiming "music is my life." I should add that they all tout how amazing their campus store bought skullcandy headphones are.

My dorm window is over the main road in and out of campus, and roughly every 20 minutes my room rattles from the bass coming out of cars going down the road. I don't mean I can hear it, I mean it literally rattles the entire room, papers move around, water in cups jumps, the whole deal. I can't imagine being inside that car...

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #90 of 147
I personally think I'm crazy for spending so much money on headphones, let alone what other people think.
tongue.gif

Everyone has their hobbies. I realize spending large amounts of money on headphones is/was an extravagance. It's not for everyone, and I don't expect others who aren't into it to understand, just as I don't understand how others spend money on their hobbies.

I personally consider the "OMG, you're crazy" stance to be a defense mechanism. The individual doesn't comprehend the reasoning behind it, but rather than taking the time to learn why, s/he just dismisses it as madness. This reaction prevents the individual from feeling ignorant and/or inferior. Labeling something you don't understand as insanity puts you in a position of superiority or "enlightenment."

I'm not saying it's right or wrong (we're all guilty of this behavior), just that it's an interesting and common behavioral phenomenon.

Our reaction of ridicule and disdain for those who use iBuds or Bose is similar. People just choose to focus their time and energies on different things. As long as they're happy, what's the harm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back