Do you need to run new speakers for 100 hours?
Feb 25, 2015 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nonothing

New Head-Fier
I read one time that new head phones had a break-in period of about 50-100 hours of play, and that the sound will be slightly different after this time. I am currently running natural rain sounds on my new Bose Companion 2 series III speakers. Dumb idea?

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 12
Why not play music and actually listen to them. Anything else is a waste of time and energy.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 12
Feb 25, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 12
  I welcome non-trolls who aren't going to bash my preferences. 

If you aren't prepared for the answer, don't ask the question.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 12

I'll clear things up here: I don't think MR Rick is bashing how you actually like rain sounds, he's assuming that if only there was a way that you wouldn't hear speakers, you'd run test tones like all other people did when breaking-in headphones; but since you're likely going to hear it, then you picked rain sounds over repeated 20hz to 20khz sweeps. Either way he thinks you should just listen to them, but he's assuming you're just tolerating the rain sounds instead of actually listening (as a relaxing ambient sound).

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 12

I agree with other posters. You have overreacted a little.

It's a myth that speakers need to be broken in to prevent damage. The primary mechanical break-in happens in the first second they are turned on. So unless someone just got speakers off the UPS truck in the middle of winter (in which case might be good to let them warm up closer to room temperature), you can use them as you see fit right after letting them run for a few seconds.

Recommended speaker break-in periods is about the possibility of some (small) physical driver break-in that might improve sound and about psychological adjustment. Thus, you can just use them.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Wasn't asking if anyone liked my music. Was asking if the break-in period was real and if the was any special sounds I should use for that break-in period.

And no, my reaction was perfectly fine. The first response did not answer any question, he just stopped by to talk trash. That is a troll.....

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 12
  Wasn't asking if anyone liked my music. Was asking if the break-in period was real and if the was any special sounds I should use for that break-in period.

And no, my reaction was perfectly fine. The first response did not answer any question, he just stopped by to talk trash. That is a troll.....

He was saying that IF break in was real then you might as well listen to them using your music. Again, he just thought that you were listening to nature sounds because constant 20hz to 20khz sweeps or pink noise would be annoying.

And to answer your question more directly - I can say no, I can say yes, this thread will end up as a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong winded debate on whether it's real. That's why the consensus is that IF it is then might as well just sit down and listen to it.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 12

Welcome to Head-Fi. Adjust your definition of Troll. Mr. Rick gave perfectly fine advice. Most break-in and burn-in is done by listening to music through them. He did not mention your music taste or anything. His response was perfectly fine.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 12

No. Your question asked if you what you were doing was a "dumb idea." As it was, it is a dumb question, given that google can provide all the answers you need about speaker break-in: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=speaker%20break%20in
:rolleyes:

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 12

Yeah...if your questions really were 1) "Is break in real?" and 2) "Should I use specific sounds during that period?" then this:

Why not play music and actually listen to them. Anything else is a waste of time and energy.

is a perfectly reasonable answer. It basically says that if break-in is real, listening to actual music will have the same effect as playing noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back