Do You Love/Hate Cooking?
Aug 30, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #16 of 43
The wife and I enjoy cooking, and wish that we had more time to do so. I also wish that I could eat more without suffering the consequences. Life is unfair, I guess.

Like Old Pa, my cooking revolves around soups, stews, and other such things...and of course grilled stuff!! My wife and I also used to make Chinese, including a hot & sour soup to die for. I really do wish that I had more time to do more cooking.

Aug 30, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by md01
That's funny! When I'm bussy, I try to stay away from the FoodNetwork channel. Otherwise, I get inspired to make something.
confused.gif

FoodTV is directly responsible for my gaining 30 lbs over my optimum weight.

Gotta watch the fitness channel instead.......
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

john_jcb said...

I really enjoy cooking and from what everyone says I am quite food at it.

Hehe. I'm easily amused.

The microwave and fast-food are my best friends, so I don't do very much cooking. It's a lack of motivation, I'm sure if I had somebody else to cook for, I'd do it more often.

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Heres a helpful hint for pasta lovers - when you cook pasta, don't put oil in the water, it makes the noodles slippery and the sauce won't stick to them. But, if you have leftover noodles, put them in a ziplock w/a little olive oil so they aren't all stuck together when you are ready to eat them the next day.

Really? I've always put olive oil in my water, as it tastes better. Then, I don't put sauce on spaghetti most of the time, as most of it's crap. Perhaps next time I'll try it sans oil, and with sauce, though.

As for cooking in general, I enjoy it, but haven't really done much of what you'd call gourmet cooking. I'd really like to get into it, but haven't had the time or money to invest in pots, knives, and the like.

I am a pretty decent baker, however, and usually make cheesecakes and the like fairly frequently. Mmm... cheesecake...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Aug 30, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 43
Hmmm....I'm feeling hungry now
biggrin.gif

For me cooking is when I make stove top ramen noodles instead of microwaving cup-a-noodles. I rarely cook since I hate cleaning up and having to wait for the stuff to cook. I'm just lazy and if it ain't done in 5 minutes or less I generally ain't gonna be eatin' it
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #24 of 43
I LOVE to cook!

There are several major advantages to learning how to cook... here are two biggies...

1. you can make sure that you can eat what you want to... you won't have to rely on someone else and what THEY think is good.

2. Many women are pleased that you can cook!

If you really want to start learning to cook, might suggest a couple options:

start with something straightforward, that doesn't involve a lot of ingredients or much technique (or much cleanup): the GRILL!

Combining fire with anything can make the task more enjoyable (at least for me).

Plus, you don't have to KNOW anything. A decent cut of steak (say, a nice rib eye) with a bit of salt and pepper or some Montreal steak seasoning on each side, and a couple minutes per side over direct heat and you've got the main part of the meal covered. Add a baked potato (throw a clean potato into the oven at 350 for ~ an hour, take it out, top with butter, salt & pepper), and a salad (grab one of those bags o' salad from the store) and you've got a mighty tasty meal. In fact, that's what I'm going to be doing once I get home from work tonight (minus the potato... am low carbing it... unfortunately a direct result of my love of food is weight gain...).

Once you get more comfortable "cooking", can add to the degree of difficulty.

Might also suggest taking a cooking class (really!). Many local communities have cooking classes at high schools and such during the evenings. Some are taught by local chefs who show you how to cook and will feed you at the end of class. Usually a source of a good, fairly cheap meal!

Doesn't take a lot to be a decent cook. Just takes a bit of attention, some time and some practice.

Good luck!
Bruce

Aug 30, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #28 of 43
I cook because I can't always afford to eat out, I don't necessarily enjoy it though. I enjoy cooking if I'm doing it with someone else, to me cooking alone seems more like a chore and not as fun as cooking along side with friends or family members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back