Do you lose data resampling 44.1 to 48 KHz?
Jun 7, 2008 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using foobar with SSRC resampler at 48 KHz ultra mode and finding images to be slightly more focused.

I hope I am not inadvertently ruining the digital signal? I also use Crossfeed.

My DAC uses PCM2707 as USB receiver to TDA1543. I was reading an article on how TI came up with the clock recovery system on the PCM270x, and there's one part where it says 48 KHz creates less distortion somehow.

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Youre altering the digital signal. Whether youre ruining or not is up to interpretation.

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not bit-perfect anymore.

But it's your ears and music that counts.

What do you mean by bit-perfect? Shouldn't resampling at 48 KHz rate be able to capture every 44.1 KHz sample at least once? Forget about the Crossfeed.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 6
Resample 640x480 jpg to 800*600 and compare the results. This is what you're doing. Try several different window functions for resampling to compare and assure yourself foobar2000 uses the best (most complicated) algorythm. Resampling audio signal does not make sense IMHO. It won't add new information to the data stream but only alter the original signal.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by bit-perfect? Shouldn't resampling at 48 KHz rate be able to capture every 44.1 KHz sample at least once? Forget about the Crossfeed.

I think theoretically it should result in the exact same sound, but obviously that is not the case since you (and everyone else) can hear a difference. So resampling the music to 48 kHz and feeding it into the DAC manipulates the signal in some way. I don't think you are "ruining" the digital signal since all DAC's even NOS ones manipulate the signal, some more than others of course. Upsampling is just another way to manipulate it, some people like it some don't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back