Do you like to argue?
Jun 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #17 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it is.

Oh ho ho! Care to back that up?
tongue.gif

I also love debating, no doubt. I would feel brain-dead if I didn't have friends I could debate with about all sorts of things. I guess I'm lucky to have friends on the other end on the political spectrum. ^__^

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 81
I like to argue, but I don't really like to debate.

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to argue, but I don't really like to debate.

The two were always the same thing in my mind.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #22 of 81
Yes, I always end up getting heated, even if both sides actually enjoying the debate. It's fun, until someone gets shot.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #24 of 81
I like to discuss and debate but I don't like it when things get heated. As a person, I tend to avoid conflict as much as possible but I'll still up the ante when something is worth fighting for.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #26 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and hence, we are human, and we think some states of mind are better than the others...
wink.gif

... however with the aid of history, we fortunately are shown some are better than others, no matter how widespread the the temporal disillusions that plague humans sometimes are.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 81
I like to argue, but it gets very boring because I am always right and everybody else is always wrong. Sometimes people try too hard to beat me in an argument, and don't understand they are wrong, so I have to break their knees to convince them I'm right.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 81
I love debating.

Having an opinion doesn't mean much.

Expressing your opinion, and being able to provide your reasoning behind it, and being able to support it, that is what means something.

Too often these days people have opinions, but they are only the opinions of others they have taken on as their own. You ask them why they hold such views, and they just respond with

"It's my opinion, I shouldn't need to defend it"

That's complete crap to me. And I find how people seem to support that view these days even worse. Anybody can have an opinion, it is the thought behind it that really holds the weight.

EDIT:

Also, one thing most people cannot do while debating, is separate them self from the argument. They take everything as a personal attack, and try to use their emotions to support their views, instead of logic.

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #30 of 81
I like it best when the data can quietly support the discussion. When the discussion gets warmer I prefer to recall that the other person has the same vulnerable ego as I do and try not to let it get the least bit personal.

It's just good old fashioned common deciency. We're here to learn; to teach; and to discuss our common interests in the hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back