Do You Like Or Dislike COLDPLAY And Why?
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #61 of 80
I think that somehow they were annointed as the band, which is blind luck b/c we all know talented musicians who either aren't as handsome, lucky, or rich, or don't have the connections...

With a good producer, just about anyone with average music ability, as in high school band or orchestra level, can be a pop icon. Granted, you might need to have some personality, but in terms of raw musical talent, you don't need very much.

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #62 of 80
I like them just fine. Is there anything really worth hating about Coldplay?

I have no real reason to dislike them. I enjoy the output of many singers with a more limited range, I like other British bands that are doubtless more obnoxious, and I really liked Chris Martin's cameo in Extras. Plus, he named his kid Apple, which I enjoy.

Their music is generally uninspiring, but they create a nice niche where you can fit a picked bass, and I always like to hear that. Coldplay isn't really a band, it's more of a brand, and hating brands is just so ... banal. Major pop music is pretty much a fungible item, like cola or toilet paper. You might have a preference, but how can you really get worked up about it?

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coldplay is kind of like a bag of twizzlers. The first 2 or 3 are chewy and mildly entertaining. If you keep eating them, bad things start to happen.

Moderation is the key to enjoying Coldplay. A few tunes from "Parachutes" every 3 months or so is about right for me.

Wow! This is a great analogy. At least it works for me! (on both counts). I'll choose X&Y over any of the others to listen to, but I'm a "Coldplay in small doses" kinda guy. I didn't really like them before X&Y save for Scientist and Clocks, but X&Y I got into enough that I would listen every now and then. As an earlier poster mentioned, it is good to have variety in one's music. For me, Coldplay has a place in my collection. Sometimes I need to listen to music that Coldplay hits on perfectly. Just a handful of tracks will do, but it's a fix I gotta have.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #66 of 80
Interesting topic. I listened to their new album and was mixed about it. I like some of their old tunes and I need to agree with Zanth & ComfyCan. Every once in awhile it's ok to hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #67 of 80
This is sad! I counted one truly positive opinion in this thread =). I didn't like X&Y and kind of liked the first two albums, but I love the new album. It's very different from what they've made before but it's such a pleasure to listen to!

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #68 of 80
Coldplay earn a resounding "meh" from me. They make the type of bland music that I can't bring myself to ever listen to purposefully.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #69 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by sir poulet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is sad! I counted one truly positive opinion in this thread =). I didn't like X&Y and kind of liked the first two albums, but I love the new album. It's very different from what they've made before but it's such a pleasure to listen to!

+1

I think the new album is one of the best of 2008.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #70 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the new album is one of the best of 2008.

now that is a big claim. i really like it, but cmon, we are only halfway through, and i am expecting some major releases in the next few months.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #71 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now that is a big claim. i really like it, but cmon, we are only halfway through, and i am expecting some major releases in the next few months.

Of course I meant of the albums that have come out to this date. Surely there's a whole lot of good stuff on the way
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #73 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
either way that is a huge claim rover. the year is almost over. i have not heard the album so i really shouldn't chime in, though i have my doubts.

HAI!! how can you say that if you haven't heard it? it is brilliant. it may not be best, but definately in the top 10 if not 5.

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #74 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAI!! how can you say that if you haven't heard it? it is brilliant. it may not be best, but definately in the top 10 if not 5.

Hence: "one of the best"

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #75 of 80
I too tried to understand what all the hype was about. I was never able to get interested in their music. Quite honestly, they bore me and put me to sleep. I'm not going to say they're bad, I guess I just don't dig their style/vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back