do you like LTE or dream theater? check out sympony x...
Mar 19, 2006 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
did a search, and didn't see any results.. so i feel like i'd be doing you guys a misjustice by not bring them up. check them out.....

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 13
That might be because you misspelled Symphony X.
tongue.gif

But nevertheless they are a good band. You should check out Kamelot, similar style but I like them better.
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
That might be because you misspelled Symphony X.
tongue.gif

But nevertheless they are a good band. You should check out Kamelot, similar style but I like them better.
icon10.gif

lol, when i searched i did spell it correctly and it still didn't come up.. oh well!

but thanks, i'll give them a try as well...

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 13
What kind of music is LTE?
Ive never heard anything by them...any cheesy riffs?

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 13
LTE == Liquid Tension Experiment; improvisational based progressive rock

Cheesy riffs? Yes...well, no...well, maybe...define "cheesy"...

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
What kind of music is LTE?
Ive never heard anything by them...any cheesy riffs?

Lots of cheesy riffs. LTE is not terrible, but there is much better music out there.

Symphony X is alright, I've met them and they're pretty cool. They have some pretty damn good songs and some cringe-worthy songs.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
LTE == Liquid Tension Experiment; improvisational based progressive rock

Cheesy riffs? Yes...well, no...well, maybe...define "cheesy"...

-the DT type.

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 13
LTE is basically DT with Tony Levin filling in on bass and no vocals. That being said, there's cheese.. but not so much. I prefer them to DT, by far.

Symphony X is great.

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 13
symphony x are awesome, but i wouldnt say they sound anything like dream theatre, who are more proggy, while symphony x i pretty much power metal.
but if you like symphony x, check out

stratovarius
sonata arctica
blind guardian
aereon

and if you like really cheesy

rhapsody
lucas turelli

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
-the DT type.

Oh, okay, well then...yes.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 13
LTE is great. Not a whole lot of cheese, and most of it from Jordan Rudess, whom I hate. LTE has all of the inspiration that's missing from latter-day DT.

In terms of SyX, I liked V, but I didn't care too much for the other stuff, even though I do have every single SyX album that they've ever put out. Their songwriting has always seemed to me a mish-mash of very good ideas very poorly stitched together. They are very literate and know their classics well, which gives them a huge advantage over the cheesy poser power-metal bands, but they don't quite have the refinement to pull off most of their more ambitious compositions.

On V, however, it all worked, and worked quite well. Songwriting was tighter and more focused, classical influences shone through (see how many direct quotations you can spot), and the energy/inspiration levels were definitely up a notch from previous works. I sincerely recommend V as their best effort, and one of the best prog/power metal albums to date.

I also liked Twilight in Olympus, though I hated Allen's voice on that disk even more than normal. "Church of the Machine" is a perfect gothy prog metal track.

If you like SyX and aren't afraid of massive amounts of rampant synth and guitar soloing - I mean, far more than SyX or DT at their most masturbatory every did - check out Space Odyssey's "Embrace the Galaxy." Yeah, cheesy name and somewhat cheesy metal but damn, so much melodic goodness on one disk, and absolutely off-the-wall soloing from both the keyboardist (Richard Andersson, who played with Malmsteen) and guitarist (Magnus Nilsson, who gives Malmsteen a serious run for the money). You can think of these guys as 1/2 Symphony-X and 1/2 Flower Kings. In fact, FK's drummer plays on this album.

And if you want something experimental in the DT vein but completely free from cheese, and actually progressive in that it does something progressive and experimental with the music - check out Arcturus, specifically "The Sham Mirrors." I like that disk more than all the world's DT's, SyX's, and Space Odysseys combined.

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut
Spelled "Ayreon."
Sorry, it's my duty.

totally, i cant spell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back