Do you like lamb?
Mar 15, 2009 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently, i have been experimenting with lamb and I have to say that I like it alot. At my job, I've been telling other people about lamb and it seems like most people don't seem enthusiastic about it. Lamb does not seem popular here in the U.S. but I think it's an underated meat. Many people have never tried it. I think it's very good though and have been enjoying it.

Lamb seems to have more flavor than the generic cuts of pork, chicken and even beef. While high quality beef is my favorite, I have to say lamb is a good value and delicious and even amazing. Try it. You may be suprised. It's a good meat.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Value not quite, i remember before it was like 2 racks for 20, now its one...a rack is like 6/7 ribs, but its really really good, gotta love its unique flavour

Racks are expensive but the cheap shoulder cuts have excellent flavor and a good value.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 98
its really good.
if u get a lamb roast, get a good one. kinda pricey but delicious with a bobby flay cranberry sauce. so good man
the lamb roast doesn't smell or taste funny
like some other chops.
but if u get like a lambchop u can put it on the grill. its pretty good.

try the goat burgers too. if u ever come across it.
if it's made well u'll love it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 98
I absolutely cannot stand the way lamb is cooked in the Southern Indian region which is where both of my parents are from (Mumbai/Pune). Both sides of the family occasionally cook it and I continue to be unable to stomach it when it is made at their tables.

Here in the US, we know several North Indian families and families from Bangladesh/Pakistan. Those guys can make some mean kebabs with lamb and I do indulge when they make them. Fairbanks is an unfortunately difficult place to obtain lamb as it isn't commonly sold in the supermarkets so the only way to get it is to fresh slaughter and so usually the only time I do get to eat it is when all the Muslim families I know get together to slaughter 1 or 2 for religious events/celebrations.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely cannot stand the way lamb is cooked in the Southern Indian region which is where both of my parents are from (Mumbai/Pune). Both sides of the family occasionally cook it and I continue to be unable to stomach it when it is made at their tables.

Here in the US, we know several North Indian families and families from Bangladesh/Pakistan. Those guys can make some mean kebabs with lamb and I do indulge when they make them. Fairbanks is an unfortunately difficult place to obtain lamb as it isn't commonly sold in the supermarkets so the only way to get it is to fresh slaughter and so usually the only time I do get to eat it is when all the Muslim families I know get together to slaughter 1 or 2 for religious events/celebrations.

I know a Lebanese family who goes to a farm to custom order a slaughtered lamb for special events. While the lamb selection is limited where I live, the supermarket near me has very good quality lamb and I am happy with it. I did not grow up eating lamb and nobody in my family eats it but since I discovered it recently, I am loving it!

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 98
I can never decide whether I like it or not. Usually I don't like it, and then I convince myself the next time I have the opportunity to have it that it will be better than I remember and I end up liking it for a few bites and then it goes downhill. Strangely enough, the same thing happens to me with popcorn.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 98
Lamb is good stuff, but my all-time favorite has to be Elk. Absolutely delicious with great texture. It's a bit harder to find for the average person though, so I usually content myself with turkey, beef, and chicken. Ham has to be my least favorite (Although everybody loves bacon). I'm also a fan of buffalo, although it's extremely annoying to chew unless ground, so it works best for burgers generally.

Also, depending on where you live, if you have some Mexican friends they can generally point you to a good meat market in the area. At the better places, the pre-prepared stuff is absolutely mouth-watering, not to mention the other products you won't find at regular supermarkets (The same can be said for asian markets.....squid jerky, anyone?).

I need to stop thinking about food now or I'll go make more even though I just ate.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Value not quite, i remember before it was like 2 racks for 20, now its one...a rack is like 6/7 ribs, but its really really good, gotta love its unique flavour

IMO, lamb is much better than commercial beef. However veal from a calf raised like a lamb, is just as good.

When I was a teenager, my parents would by a calf every spring, raise it on a friend's farm, and butcher it in the fall. Basically, the calf spent a summer out in the fields eating only grass. It tasted an awful lot like lamb. My bet is that most of the flavor associated with lamb is from them eating grass and not having their movement restricted.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 98
I love rack of lamb though Outback's ( I was forced to eat there, I swear) was mediocre last week. Better off making my own.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 98
The younger, the better. Old lamb, really mutton, is not tender and has an unpleasant smell. Where you buy your lamb makes a huge difference in quality. One of my favorite dishes is the French navarin d'agneau, a lamb stew with turnips.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The younger, the better. Old lamb, really mutton, is not tender and has an unpleasant smell.

QFT. Most of the time, when I got to visit India and my dad's family makes lamb, I'm pretty sure its actually just mutton. Gah.....

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT. Most of the time, when I got to visit India and my dad's family makes lamb, I'm pretty sure its actually just mutton. Gah.....

Actually, it could be goat. Gah indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back