Do you know of a flash player that...
Mar 11, 2005 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kmcdonou

100+ Head-Fier
offers removable storage, has gapless playback, supports flac files, and sounds great without an amp?

I was looking for something more durable than a hard drive based player, that I can use for skiing and can take 4-6 albums at a time. I figured if I took one or two 1 gb cards + the native memory I would be set.

It would be nice if this player had a line out or a third party adapter for line out capacity, but if it can sound pretty good without an amp, I am willing to deal without it.

I want flac support as I am moving towards a computer based system within the next couple of months and plan on converting to flac. I don't want to have to decompress the files and compress them into some other format when I want to load 4-6 on my memory cards.

Anything available that meets these requirements?

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
No such product exists.

yeah, sorry.

I don't know of a flash with gapless, a line out, or play flac, let alone have those and accept memory cards. sorry.

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Skiing/Snowboarding are not real hard on a HD player. Not anywhere close to the abuse that a player would get while running. Even with a HD player thought there is only one that would fit your requirements and that is the Karma which doesn't have the best HD reliablility.

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 9
What a total bummer. I thought for sure there would be a player with at least removable storage, flac capability, and gapless. I guess the market has not evolved enough or my requirements are too esoteric.

Mar 11, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 9
gapless pretty much doesn't occur on flash players. neither does FLAC - unless you want to have 4 albums total on your 2 1 gig removable memory. if you're riding, you prolly won't need an amp either - at least in my opinion. i'm pretty sure the best / cheapest way to get into removable flash is to get the 128 MB RCA Lyra - they're under 50 bucks i'm sure. throw in a card and its the cheapest 1 gig player out there.

Mar 14, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 9
Rio Karma is pretty small and plays gapless FLAC and Ogg Vorbis. But no removeable storage on it.

Also, at this point, most digital walkmen with removeable storage tend to be cheap things like Sandisk, which are not in the first rank of audio quality, let alone to support audio[hile formats sich as FLAC.

There is this new player may be worth investingating to see if it fils your needs. Look here and click on the "XD501": ( http://www.xdrum.co.kr/english/main/main.htm ). It plays Ogg to Q10, has removeable mini-SD card with support up to 3GB. With that sort of capacity, they may be considering later firmware upgrades to include FLAC support.

Mar 14, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
Rio Karma is pretty small

PFFFFFFFT !!! ok buddy...

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou
What a total bummer. I thought for sure there would be a player with at least removable storage, flac capability, and gapless. I guess the market has not evolved enough or my requirements are too esoteric.

More likely, your requirements are too esoteric. There are currently no flash-based players which can play back lossless or uncompressed audio files, which means that you're forever stuck with lossy compression on a flash player.

As for removable storage capability, a few flash-based players use removable memory cards - but most flash-based players nowadays have permanently fixed memory.

And there are no flash-based players which have a line-out at all whatsoever; such devices are much too small in physical size for such an additional jack to even fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back