Do you keep proper FLAC albums with covers and other pics?
Jun 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ROBSCIX

Headphoneus Supremus
I was curious as to how many people keep full FLAC albums with cover art and all other pictures (inlay,CD, booklets) scans?
..or am I the only one with this compulsion?

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 17
I keep all my art for the album in the album folder.
Great to see I am not the only one that has this compulsion!
I am not just talking about the covers, those are needed, I mean the CD pic, the back the inserts..etc

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 17
I once downloaded pictures to use with my D2 portable player,at first it was nice,but after some time i realized that i am not even looking at them anymore so i erased all the pictures.    I  care only about the music.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 17
I try to get good quality front cover art.  I don't bother with the interior or booklet unless the CD is extra special or the booklet contains some important info to help you follow along with the music (like lyrics and script for a classical work).  Getting good front cover art takes enough time as it is.  Scanning the interior and booklet as well is just over the top, would take way too much time.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 17
I guess I don't mean the booklet as not all CD's have one.  I have seen collections where they have, fronts, backs and a pic of the actual CD.  I thought that was pretty cool for a home based player..

@Ham, what do you consider quality?  I usually try and get a 500X500 album cover pic. Do you personally use bigger ones then that or smaller?
All my current FLAC albums have cover art but I am starting to add back and CD art also....it is getting to be an addiction!

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I once downloaded pictures to use with my D2 portable player,at first it was nice,but after some time i realized that i am not even looking at them anymore so i erased all the pictures.    I  care only about the music.

I wouldn't really worry about it on a portable player but a home system is different and there you can get into such things.

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:

@Ham, what do you consider quality?  I usually try and get a 500X500 album cover pic. Do you personally use bigger ones then that or smaller?

500x500 is OK if it is the best I can find.  I prefer 600x600.  There is usually not a need to go larger unless the cover is especially detailed or has small text.  But more than the size is the quality.  A good clean scan with touchup editing and the colors corrected.  The quality of the cover art at Album Art Exchange is the kind of quality I'm after.

The 600x600 art at iTunes can be OK but can also be rather poor with compression artifacts, poor color, or just a bad scan or source to begin with.  Amazon has 500x500 covers but suffer from too much jpeg compression artifacts.  Buy.com has 500x500 covers and are generally better quality than Amazon.  Other online sources are hit or miss.

If I can't find what I want online I'll scan the cover myself.  That's a last resort though because it takes so much time.  If I find a reasonable online image but it needs some cleanup and editing I'll do the necessary editing if I have the skills to do so (I'm no image editing guru).

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 17
Once in a while i'm the mood, then i try to download cover art for all flacs with "Album Art Downloader". After that I often even tweak the images to make the colors better (black should be black and white should be white, which are often in the gray area).

You know what i miss. An album art plugin for foobar with lots of resize options. It would nice to be able choose your favorite resize methods (like lanczos) and unsharp mask setting.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

500x500 is OK if it is the best I can find.  I prefer 600x600.  There is usually not a need to go larger unless the cover is especially detailed or has small text.  But more than the size is the quality.  A good clean scan with touchup editing and the colors corrected.  The quality of the cover art at Album Art Exchange is the kind of quality I'm after.

The 600x600 art at iTunes can be OK but can also be rather poor with compression artifacts, poor color, or just a bad scan or source to begin with.  Amazon has 500x500 covers but suffer from too much jpeg compression artifacts.  Buy.com has 500x500 covers and are generally better quality than Amazon.  Other online sources are hit or miss.

If I can't find what I want online I'll scan the cover myself.  That's a last resort though because it takes so much time.  If I find a reasonable online image but it needs some cleanup and editing I'll do the necessary editing if I have the skills to do so (I'm no image editing guru).

Yes, I understand that basically the higher resolution the higher the quality...I was just wondering what some others are using for their cover sizes.  I have seen some that are very large...
I found a few good places for album art...Google images is actually not too bad as it show you the size of the image.  I have a large CD collection and it is easier for me to go through and seach for the missing art then get a scanner and go through them all.  I have all my covers, still consider CD scans and Back covers...etc.  The newest skin I am using allows you to browse them in a cool way as you are listening to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back