Do you keep or sell marginal cans?
Feb 22, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #46 of 56
I listen to over a dozen different headphones every week, but I did decide to sell the ones I don't listen to. At least the ones worth selling. As for one thing that is the best, that doesn't exist for me. For instance, your headphone, the HD650. Great headphone. Uncomfortable on my head though. It doesn't matter how good it sounds, I could only listen to it for an hour max because of the comfort. I listen 6-10 hours a day.

My "best" headphones are my Stax SR-Gamma, Yamaha HP-1, Fostex T30. They cost between $60 and $125 and IMO sound better than any headphone I've heard that costs $300. I'm sure that $1000+ headphones sound better. I've heard the R10, HE90, and SR-007 that all cost a lot of money. The R10 didn't thrill me at all and the HE90 and SR-007 were incremental gains that are not worth the 20 times the price. Not to mention having to spend that much again on equipment to drive them.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #47 of 56
I tend to sell my marginal cans as I upgrade to others. I let my d1000, es7, and super.fi 5 pro go when I picked up my W3 and D2000. I'm a pretty happy camper with those two alone. I don't find that I have much need for any other headphones. Although I do still have a pair of ksc75 for those rare occasions where I'm craving a different sound signature.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #48 of 56
i want to sell some headphones that don't get much use so i can buy MORE!
biggrin.gif

i have 2 HD650s but don't think that is really necessary. i have 4 grados. don't think i need more than 2. maybe something else can go as well. that would free up some funds.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep them all, I have never sold a pair of cans, just have given some to friends or relatives. I suppose I like keeping them to be able to compare their sound against the new things I buy. Also listening to different cans from time to time helps to keep my ears "fresh" and not getting too accostumed to a specific sound signature.
I don't consider myself a cans collector, but this attitude maybe places me into that category.

Rgrds

I keep mine for the same reason. I guess it depends on how Marginal they are. If they have no redeeming Value they have to go.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #51 of 56
I have to sell to be able to upgrade. I'd love to not have to upgrade, but I always feel like there is something missing with each headphone.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #52 of 56
get them gifted or sold cheaply. they have worse cans.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have crap headphones that i bought when i was 13 in my room and probably wont sell any headphone soon. Makes my room look cool, IMHO
rolleyes.gif

Heh,
I have some crap Headphones that came with my PJ Jukebox back a long time ago. I really didn't use them a lot. They laid around in a drawer for about 6 years. the Pads disintegrated on them, they looked like hell, and they were starting to look like trashcan fodder. Then I found this forum and bought some nice canz.

I started using them to test equipment that I bought from China after a Zero DAC blew up a guys HD650's. That's when I looked at the label and found out that Koss PortaPro's were worth keeping!!

I quit testing equipment with them.

Go figure!!

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #55 of 56
if you are labeling them in the marginal pile... then probably best to sell them.... if they are marginal at best... its best to put your money elsewhere...

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #56 of 56
I only sold Etymotics... there was no point in keeping it since I knew I won't be listening to them, ever - they made me sick. Otherwise, I keep all headphones around. But that's because I almost always buy used, when they're not "hot" so it's rarely worth selling them. That doesn't mean they all get royal treatment though - for example I had DT-990 sitting in the socks drawer for 3 years and due to pressure the pads are now thin. My HD-25-1 and old HD-580 are sitting in another drawer, sharing it with cables, netbooks and cameras and so on. I'd never sell them anyway, once the price drops below certain level it makes no sense to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back