do you iTunes?
Jan 6, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBurns11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it interesting that many young people aren't embracing the joy of whole albums as pieces of art as a whole. Everyone just wants the single, but is not so interested in the album. Maybe it's the new generation (which I'm a part of by the way, I'm 19) having constant stimulation from TV/Music/Computers/Etc. and not having the patience for whole albums, or maybe it's that most popular artists don't embrace the concept of a whole album anymore, and are just trying to make a bunch of singles to make money. Probably a combination of both, but I'd say the latter is more responsible.

Either way, I'm against it.

I find it amazing the differeance a few years has made as far as what artist do with their music. I'm 23 and can remember a time when I bought an album and out of the 13 songs on it 9 were great, there was an intro, an outro, an interlude in the middle and maybe one song was a skip over. But the album acted as an album... not just a buch of songs pieced together.

My older music (mid 90's) has songs that when seperated aren't that special by themselves... but amazing when listening to the album as a whole. The newer stuff I just put on a playlist with other newer stuff and do the random shuffle thing.

There are very few artist these days, just entertainers.

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

I find it interesting that many young people aren't embracing the joy of whole albums as pieces of art as a whole. Everyone just wants the single, but is not so interested in the album. Maybe it's the new generation (which I'm a part of by the way, I'm 19) having constant stimulation from TV/Music/Computers/Etc. and not having the patience for whole albums, or maybe it's that most popular artists don't embrace the concept of a whole album anymore, and are just trying to make a bunch of singles to make money. Probably a combination of both, but I'd say the latter is more responsible.

Either way, I'm against it.

Albums are the newcomer, the popular music industry has always been based on singles.

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it amazing the differeance a few years has made as far as what artist do with their music. I'm 23 and can remember a time when I bought an album and out of the 13 songs on it 9 were great, there was an intro, an outro, an interlude in the middle and maybe one song was a skip over. But the album acted as an album... not just a buch of songs pieced together.

My older music (mid 90's) has songs that when seperated aren't that special by themselves... but amazing when listening to the album as a whole. The newer stuff I just put on a playlist with other newer stuff and do the random shuffle thing.

There are very few artist these days, just entertainers.

Well, I'm mostly speaking of pop music. But there are certainly many artists out there today that practice the 'whole album' way of going about things. They just aren't on the radio/MTV.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Albums are the newcomer, the popular music industry has always been based on singles.

It may be based upon singles. But to truly appreciate an artist, you need to listen to the album. While a single may give an artist popularity, an album allows the artist to express their full creativity as they want the listener to hear it. Good albums are an artful compilation of thier talent, not a snapshot.

This is just another indicator that the music industry isn't out there to promote, they're there to make money.
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Well, I'm mostly speaking of pop music. But there are certainly many artists out there today that practice the 'whole album' way of going about things. They just aren't on the radio/MTV.

I'm refering to pop as well. I know that there are plenty artist out there that have full complete albums in today. But they aren't pop. This wasn't the case when I was growing up.

Compare the pop albums of today (***** cat dolls) vs the pop of the 90's (TLC) which one provides a better album experiance? I'm not just judging this off the quality of the music, but the actually album with intros, outros and interludes. As well as how each song flows into eachother.

Unfortantly I must experiance stuff like the ***** cat dolls (I have a 12 year old niece) and the way the albums are arranged leaves much to be desired. That's what I mean by the album concept. Makes me long for the 90's when people actually put thought into arrangement. No art.... just entertainment.

But then you have people like Eminem who do put thought into the arrangement of thier albums... it's just few and far in between. The downfall of Pop music.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybaek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may be based upon singles. But to truly appreciate an artist, you need to listen to the album. While a single may give an artist popularity, an album allows the artist to express their full creativity as they want the listener to hear it. Good albums are an artful compilation of thier talent, not a snapshot.

This is just another indicator that the music industry isn't out there to promote, they're there to make money.
tongue.gif

No, he's actually correct. The pop music industry has always focused on singles, because they are the ones that get people to buy the records and go to the concerts.

Thinking about it in the context of all hundred or so years of popular music being a physical commodity, there are few pop artists in the world that have stressed the album as anything more than a mere collection of songs. We had Sinatra innovating the usage of the modern LP in the late 50s, and the prog-rock outfits in the 70s, and the art-rock musicians today. But really, the huge majority of musicians have made their money on hits being played through means such as radio, television, et cetera.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, he's actually correct. The pop music industry has always focused on singles, because they are the ones that get people to buy the records and go to the concerts.

Thinking about it in the context of all hundred or so years of popular music being a physical commodity, there are few pop artists in the world that have stressed the album as anything more than a mere collection of songs. We had Sinatra innovating the usage of the modern LP in the late 50s, and the prog-rock outfits in the 70s, and the art-rock musicians today. But really, the huge majority of musicians have made their money on hits being played through means such as radio, television, et cetera.

Oh. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was denying the fact that singles were a big draw/income for the music industry. I just think that albums as a whole should be appreciated more than the song you heard on the radio over and over again. Many albums are a work of art as a whole. Such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #38 of 49
Wow, I remember buying 45 records at Musicland for fifty cents. I bought them exclusively, but of course my allowance was only $1.00 a week at that time. That was only about … errr … twenty-something years ago.

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybaek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was denying the fact that singles were a big draw/income for the music industry. I just think that albums as a whole should be appreciated more than the song you heard on the radio over and over again. Many albums are a work of art as a whole. Such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

I think we're talking at cross purposes, I fully agree with everything you've said, however it doesn't change the fact that the popular music market is, and always has been, based around singles and the various ways of selling them. This is no new trend, it is the foundation stone of the industry.

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm refering to pop as well. I know that there are plenty artist out there that have full complete albums in today. But they aren't pop. This wasn't the case when I was growing up.

Compare the pop albums of today (***** cat dolls) vs the pop of the 90's (TLC) which one provides a better album experiance? I'm not just judging this off the quality of the music, but the actually album with intros, outros and interludes. As well as how each song flows into eachother.

Unfortantly I must experiance stuff like the ***** cat dolls (I have a 12 year old niece) and the way the albums are arranged leaves much to be desired. That's what I mean by the album concept. Makes me long for the 90's when people actually put thought into arrangement. No art.... just entertainment.

But then you have people like Eminem who do put thought into the arrangement of thier albums... it's just few and far in between. The downfall of Pop music.

I agree completely with what you said here.

And as far as Pop music a being geared toward singles, well that's true. But I think it's gotten a lot worse lately. I mean, it's normal for an artist to put out a couple singles on an album, but the rest of the album should be cohesive. All anyone does is put out an album full of singles, every track.

Jan 7, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #41 of 49
90's pop music was great, except if it you're living in the 90's. Today's pop music is crap, listen to it in 10 years it will be much better
icon10.gif

Every single album I've brought this decade was a cohesive composition. It's fun to moan...

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #43 of 49
itunes does help you find some amazing nuggets. case in point, Elvis Costello playing "Alison" acoustically for the Bridge School Concerts. SQ is acceptable and performance is amazing. Good stuff i probably never would have stumbled on otherwise!

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #45 of 49
wow itunes can be a double edged sword - you can stumble on music you probably never wanted to ever hear.

do a search for "Won's Taproot" in the artist name search. a tribute album to Snow Patrol already, and...i don't understand how they got on itunes. what are the requirements? can i just mumble and strum and get it on there too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back