do you iTunes?
Jan 2, 2007 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

miTunes75

100+ Head-Fier
There are some singles out there that I really want. I have sampled the rest of the albums and am really not interested in purchasing the entire cd. Do I dare click .99 to get some of these songs? Will my Senns start screaming and blood start pouring out my ears??!?
600smile.gif

Drama: should I ?

Jan 2, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 49
Personally, I try to avoid buying music from iTunes or similar places as much as possible. The main reason for this is because of all the red tape that comes attached with the files you download (DRM and such). I bought a few tracks off iTunes when it first opened, and now they won't transfer to my iPod because I've had to re-install my OS a few times since then; this is because every time I reinstalled the OS, it thought my iPod was "new" and had to be authorized. It's pretty annoying to know that I can't make use of something that I paid good money for. Next, of course, is the fact that you're buying a lossy audio format and it won't sound as good as the original CD. This doesn't really bother me when I'm listening on the go, but I like to have the original when at home.

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 49
I've been avoiding it for all the usual reasons. On a side note: are there any sites out there that sell individual MP3s w/o all the red tape (especially having to join)? I just want to snag some singles that I've liked in the past.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 49
I gladly take their free stuff
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 49
the one good thing about the itunes store is that the preview quality is identical to the song quality - so what you hear is what you get. stream it, see if you like it, if the SQ sucks too hard, don't get it, if it's acceptable, go for it.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by miTunes75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some singles out there that I really want. I have sampled the rest of the albums and am really not interested in purchasing the entire cd. Do I dare click .99 to get some of these songs? Will my Senns start screaming and blood start pouring out my ears??!?
600smile.gif

Drama: should I ?

I would not stress over 99 cents. Life is far too busy and complicated as it is to worry about a buck. Think of it like buying a pack of gum or a candy bar, except is lasts longer (perhaps forever within the digital universe). Just accept that it will not be audiophile quality.

Oh, I would advise burning to CD the tracks you download -- not to share, but just as a back-up in case you run into problems....

Making a habit out of itunes is a much bigger question,

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 49
Nah, I did the iTunes thing for a bit, but the hassle of copy protection and, once I got into high end headphone audio, the low bit rate just make it money wasted. I'd rather buy through a low cost service like www.yourmusic.com, or from amazon (proud amazon prime member here, free 2 day shipping
icon10.gif
).

Now I also did the iTunes thing for TV shows for a while, but have since gotten out of that as well do to the incredibly erratic quality (usually quite poor) of the video. Meaning I could watch one episode of Battlestar Galactica and the quality is acceptable, then watch the next episode and its almost unwatchable. This inconsistency is frustrating at best.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 49
I love itunes! However, I never use it for buying music. The reason I like it is because it's great to keep music organized on my computer and also I use the music store to try out new music before buying it on cd or vinyl.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love itunes! However, I never use it for buying music. The reason I like it is because it's great to keep music organized on my computer and also I use the music store to try out new music before buying it on cd or vinyl.

Actually I forgot I also love using iTunes to preview music.
evil_smiley.gif
I use foobar to organize and listen to music, but you can't beat iTunes selection and quick streaming MP3's for music previewing.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 49
i love itunes preview.

itunes=my music player and previewer, but not my music source

i wont buy 128kbs stuff. it would pain me. why not buy the real thing, which u will have long after HD crashes, ipod losses, and the end of lossy audio

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 49
Personally, I hate iTunes. It just doesn't click with me. I'm not sure why...but I know there are better sources for singles than iTunes. Maybe some friends who have the album from which you could rip a high bitrate mp3?

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by miTunes75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you iTunes?

Yes, I sure do.
Its a great audio player, which also just happens to be my favorite one!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back