Do you hear the difference? A test
Apr 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #106 of 139
But the test is kind of stupid, always the same clip is right. They should be shuffled (A and B), so you could test it more often...
Got it right though with old Sennheiser HD 530 II
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #107 of 139
Got it right with my venerable Sony MDR-V6s. Since my age precludes hearing the ultra high frequencies, I focused on the vocal........definitely more body and texture with the higher bitrate sample. Those of you who couldn't hear a difference, don't worry. Your hearing is probably fine, but you just need more practice. Hey, this is tough stuff.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #108 of 139
Got it right after 2x listening each clip. The 'correct' one just sounded much more alive on my K601!

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #109 of 139
It was hard to tell, but there is a difference.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #113 of 139
i got it right.

the 320s intrumental introduction after the singers note were much brighter.

i was usin senns 595s

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #115 of 139
I tried with cheapo headphone, I coundn't tell this time..

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #116 of 139
Tested using my 5 years old, ****ty 80$ hercules 5.1 speakers and heard a difference : sound seemed more flat in one of the samples so I said the other one was the 320 and it was right.

I should probably plug in my se530 and do the test to see if other differences can be spotted though

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #117 of 139
I got it right, I could here it right at the beginning of the clip, when there are a lot of sounds together. They seem to mash-up together more with the lower-quality version. But a part of it was luck too, I guess...
wink.gif

It listened on Grado SR-60's straight out of my MacBook.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #118 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got it right, I could here it right at the beginning of the clip, when there are a lot of sounds together. They seem to mash-up together more with the lower-quality version. But a part of it was luck too, I guess...
wink.gif

It listened on Grado SR-60's straight out of my MacBook.

Yeah, you'd really have to test many listenings to have anything approaching a statistic sample. The 50/50 chance of getting it right pretty much invalidates this as research. And I think you'd then have to test a variety of music samples. Some might reveal the difference more than others. It's still interesting, though. I'd like to see it done right. Then I'd like to see them test 320kbps against lossless. When ripping my cd collection to hard drive, I started with 320kbps, then about halfway through, switched to lossless. I'm not at all sure I can tell the difference. If A/B-ing the same music, maybe, but I'm pretty sure I could play a song at random and be completely unable to ID it as 320 vs. lossless. I still re-ripped the first half to lossless, just because I could...

Tim

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #119 of 139
Got it right. The difference is quite obvious too (using K601's and DA-131 dac). The cymbals sound louder and more 'airy' on the 320 sample, for instance. However I must say that I too, thought that the difference would be greater. Maybe this particular sound sample is not the best to test the differences. I would love to see a comparison between lossless and 320kb (or 128 kb for that matter). And other samples too.

Ruben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back