Do You Have to Use the PTH Thingy?
Feb 16, 2007 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
I can't find this covered anywhere, even the Shure website just assumes you want the PTH thingy on your cable. Well I don't want the extra bulk, so my question is can you just use one of the extender cables WITHOUT the PTH thingy at all?

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 8
yes absolutely, i use it sometimes, when i'm thinking i'm going to be wearing them for awhile, but usually i go without. try putting the pth on a pair of grado's, it's funny feeling.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussell6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes absolutely, i use it sometimes, when i'm thinking i'm going to be wearing them for awhile, but usually i go without. try putting the pth on a pair of grado's, it's funny feeling.

My question is not whether or not you choose to use it, but if the E500 cable HAS TO have it in place in order to use the IEMs. I would like NOT to have that thing on there, and would not buy E500s if it must be worn on the cable.

I'd like the cheaper option, but would wait for the SE530 model if I'm FORCED to wear that bulky thing on the E500s.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 8
sorry for not being more to the point, NO YOU CAN TRASH THE THING IF YOU WANT, or sell if for 20 bucks in f/s section, THE E500'S WORK PERFECTLY FINE WITHOUT THE PTH MODULE IN THE SIGNAL PATH.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 8
Do I use it? Yep. When? Traveling. I used it on my last flight to Vegas and it worked like a charm dealing with the flight attendents when they stopped by. Do I use it all the time? No way. I plug in one of the straight wires and love the sound. The PTH box is need only when necessary. Otherwise plug one of the other wires in (length depending on need) and groove out.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Assigning a button on rockbox to takes me to the recording screen. When I need to talk to a colleague or about to go to work, with my phones on I jump to the recording screen and I can talk normally and hear everything around me. In fact sometimes clearer because of the microphone. Good design with more options no need for additional cables and add ons. We have enough to carry as it is! And I dont need to spend all that money on E500PTH or at least they cant make me pay for "push to hear" technology if I think their headphone is crap.
Sorry if your player has no microphone... next time insist on having one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back