Do you have tinnitus?
Apr 14, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #46 of 69
My tinnitus (left ear) increases and decreases in intensity depending on, among other things, temperature and humidity. I sometimes fear that it will get worse, and permanently increase in intensity! I don't think people who don't have tinnitus realize just how lucky they are! I've read of cases where peoples tinnitus gets bad to the degree that they become suicidal, and I totally get why! Take care of your hearing people!

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #47 of 69
You are right - it is and can be devastating for many. It was for me also in the first 1-2 months. Head-Fiers should be really caerfull with their hearing and hobby!

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #48 of 69
I think general physical fitness helps with ear health. And tinnitus specifically. Push-ups sit ups and running/walking will help ease it, especially if you don't normally do those things. I notice some issues when a cold is coming on, but some exercise can really help prevent an oncoming cold which in turn can aggravate tinnitus and ear pressure/hearing issues. I'm not a doctor but I think it's all related.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 69
I have it in both ears. Louder in my right ear. Not a ringing or whistling sound, but a hissing sound. Sometimes it's louder, sometimes softer, but it never goes away. It's always worse if and when I pay attention to it. My ears are almost 50 years old and definitely not high end. It's just something I've grown to accept and live with.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #51 of 69

I also have it in both ears. It is rather prophetic that I was having a break from my headphones to give my ears a break and listen to speakers in another room when I came across this thread. Mine started (or I noticed it!) about a year ago and I suspect it is due to riding motorcycles for many years without hearing protection( I do now!) and also the accumulation of listening to headphones at slightly higher than normal levels. It becomes aggravated when I wear in-ear monitors for an extended period. In my normal day to day life it doesn't bother me too much as I have grown accustomed to it. Sometimes it drives me mad at night as it seems to be worse when I lay down to sleep at night and it's quite. Sometimes I even have to get up and walk about and go to the lounge and sit in a chair and watch tv to distract myself. I can absolutely understand how it could drive someone to suicide. Thankfully mine isn't THAT bad.  
I suppose I am lucky as I am 60 years old and still lead a normal active life and have learned to live with the ringing in my ears and I am much more aware of protecting the hearing I still have. Cheers.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #53 of 69
I have it I guess. It's off and on since I was a kid. Didn't really know it was something until I got older, honestly just thought it was normal. It's always been fairly faint though the only time I really notice it is when I'm going to bed and only for a couple minutes. Every now and then it will get really loud for a few seconds but that is few and far inbetween. 

On a side note physical fitness may have a factor although I didn't think about it until reading this thread. When I would go to the gym more often I would notice that I didn't hear it nearly as much. Sometimes pure silence is amazing :)

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #55 of 69
I have it in both ears. Louder in my right ear. Not a ringing or whistling sound, but a hissing sound. Sometimes it's louder, sometimes softer, but it never goes away. It's always worse if and when I pay attention to it. My ears are almost 50 years old and definitely not high end. It's just something I've grown to accept and live with.

I also have it in both ears. It is rather prophetic that I was having a break from my headphones to give my ears a break and listen to speakers in another room when I came across this thread. Mine started (or I noticed it!) about a year ago and I suspect it is due to riding motorcycles for many years without hearing protection( I do now!) and also the accumulation of listening to headphones at slightly higher than normal levels. It becomes aggravated when I wear in-ear monitors for an extended period. In my normal day to day life it doesn't bother me too much as I have grown accustomed to it. Sometimes it drives me mad at night as it seems to be worse when I lay down to sleep at night and it's quite. Sometimes I even have to get up and walk about and go to the lounge and sit in a chair and watch tv to distract myself. I can absolutely understand how it could drive someone to suicide. Thankfully mine isn't THAT bad.  
I suppose I am lucky as I am 60 years old and still lead a normal active life and have learned to live with the ringing in my ears and I am much more aware of protecting the hearing I still have. Cheers.

I'm 63 and have had tinnitus for longer than I can remember (I really can't remember the pure silence others speak of). This is probably from "This album is to be played LOUD" rock in the late 60s and 70s, along with noisy work environments w/o hearing protection. Mine is in both ears, more right than left, it sounds like a hiss with a slight ringing overtone. I simply live with it. I find certain types of music and volumes, are wearing to listen too even with my ultra comfortable HD600s, good thing that I'm a classical and acoustic music fan, I can find much to listen to. Good luck to fellow sufferers.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #56 of 69
I'm 63 and have had tinnitus for longer than I can remember (I really can't remember the pure silence others speak of). This is probably from "This album is to be played LOUD" rock in the late 60s and 70s, along with noisy work environments w/o hearing protection. Mine is in both ears, more right than left, it sounds like a hiss with a slight ringing overtone. I simply live with it. I find certain types of music and volumes, are wearing to listen too even with my ultra comfortable HD600s, good thing that I'm a classical and acoustic music fan, I can find much to listen to. Good luck to fellow sufferers.

I see your musical preferences have changed quite a bit since the 70's. Maybe that helps keep the tinnitus away, but I find the wide dynamics of classical music can catch me off guard. Sometimes I turn up the volume to better listen to a quieter moment, then suddenly the orchestra goes wild and I must hurry to lower the volume. LOL.

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #57 of 69
Mine is in the right ear its a high pitched whistle that pulses, mine is 24/7 but at times does reduce in volume and i have learned to ignore it as best i can ..somedays i can't use headphones as its too intrusive in almost a painful way from using them other days its the other way round and headphones are better than loudspeakers ....

Jul 21, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #58 of 69
I've had tinnitus for almost as long as I can remember.

I used to get ear infections when I was a kid and I remember sometimes hearing an intermittent or quiet, steady ringing. I even had a ruptured eardrum (painful!) when I was about 12 or 13. My sister used to affectionately kiss me on my ear and the noise and suction from that was really painful!

Then there was the time my friend and I were playing with fireworks. We were tossing them around until one went under a nearby pickup. Being dumdums, we thought the truck would explode, so we both dove for the cracker just as it went off. I remember a minute or two of panic thinking I'd lost my hearing for good, and then slowly regaining my hearing, thinking it sounded like rain.

Then there was the Lightning Bolt concert I went to without any hearing protection. I think the show was something like four hours long and I couldn't hear my friend shouting directly into my ear. My friend managed to scrounge a pair of earplugs for herself, but couldn't find any for me. She suggested toilet paper. Uh. Okay. That was pretty much laughably inadequate. I could hardly hear for days afterwards.

By far the biggest contributor to my tinnitus, though, was getting on a plane with a bad head cold. Holy hell, that hurt. I really, really thought I was going to go deaf. For weeks after, my ears felt like I was at the bottom of the ocean. Everything sounded muffled, the ringing in my ears was enough to become distracting and worrisome. Compared to this, the firecracker was just dumb kids being dumb. The Lightning Bolt show was a questionable decision, but one I ultimately knew I'd get over. But this was oh f*ck, oh f*ck, oh f*ck! I don't want to be deaf for the rest of my life! Thankfully I'm not deaf, but I do have tinnitus. And I always travel with a packet of pseudoephedrine!

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #59 of 69
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back