Do you have other hobbies (expensive?).
Feb 24, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #91 of 105
Hey Pigmode you ever do any catamaran sailing?? My dad had a Nacra 5.8 back in the day. MAN, that thing was fast! We would go out there and stand it up practically on edge, thanks to the nifty design of the Nacra's hull you can take it up wayyyy higher than a hobie could ever dream of going, and its a heck of a lot faster too. Man, I'll never forget this one day... IT was a perfect wind, strong but it didn't seem to touch the water at all, the water was smooth and the wind was steady, man I was literally standing on the side of the hull that day. I could have done a little dance up there, it was so steady, the sun was glistening off the water, I didnt even get wet that day, I was ten feet above the lake the entire time. Someday I'd like to get my hands on a tornado. I think they are only 20,000 or so
rolleyes.gif
For the money though I think a Nacra is one of the best performing cats out there.

Feb 24, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #92 of 105
Quote:

And tripod wise, which one do you recommend?

Well, I've always been partial to Bogen (Manfrotto). They are very solid and easy to use. A lot of people like Gitzo, but they are too expensive for my blood. If I'm not using my big gun (400/f2.8), I use the Bogen 3221 (suggested to me by photo.net) with a Slik Pro Ball Head.

Trust me when I say that once you use a ball head, you will never go back. Well, at least I never will. The only tripod head I love more than my little Slik is my giant Wimberly gimble tripod head . . . there is no greater thrill than being able to effortlessly track a running animal with a super-telephoto.

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #93 of 105
What good does a more expensive tripod do? All it needs to do is hold the camera and lens steady. Hell I use chairs to logs 'n rope. I will get one eventually, but a cheap one at that with a sturdy stand and ridgid legs. Are there such things as tilting tripods? That'd be cool.

Feb 24, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #94 of 105
Music is my only hobby and I spend more on making music than listening to it.

Last year I paid $2,000 on a used accordion and my music lessons run up to $300 a month.

Does it get any crazier than that?

Feb 24, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #95 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Last year I paid $2,000 on a used accordion and my music lessons run up to $300 a month.

No...it doesn't
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #96 of 105
Why do you need a more expensive tripod? Might as well ask why you need more expensive interconnects
smily_headphones1.gif
. A good tripod can add clarity to your pictures. While this may not be an issue when you are using a short telephoto, it's essential when you're standing on the side of mountain shooting pictures of twin three week old mountain goat in gail force winds with a Nikkor 400/f2.8 with a 1.4 TC. If I had been using a normal run of the mill tripod, I wouldn't have been able to blow my picture of two baby mountain goat touching noses up to a tack sharp 40x60" print.

Feb 24, 2002 at 10:52 AM Post #98 of 105
ai0tron

I did some flying too. Got my license in Alabama. Yeah, Cessna's are mostly boring. Very hard to get in trouble. Spin recovery is turn loose. Dive recovery is turn loose. Mostly, it's let the airplane alone and it'll keep you out of trouble. Spot landing's a bitch though. Barn door flaps and ground effects like nobody's business. They want to float forever.

However, in Nashville, I was flying Grumman TR-2's. Low wing, side by side, sliding canopy, low seats, painted like a WWII British fighter. Best angle, 90 knots, best rate 85 knots, glide like a dropped rock, spin recovery in 1 turn or big smokey dent in the ground. Incredibly fun airplane. Got a chance to fly a Tiger also. 4 seat, fixed gear, 180 horse, fixed prop, sliding canopy, all glued together. Easily outrun a Piper Arrow 200 which has retractable gear, constant speed prop and 300 HP.

Unfortunately, when Grumman sold their civilian divisions, Grumman American Aviation and Gulfstream, Alan Paulson only wanted Gulfstream and the rest just disappeared. Too bad, 'cause they were really incredible airplanes. Based on some of Jim Bede's best work.

Feb 24, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #99 of 105
Bogen/manfrotto has a different code/model number for their tripod here, I can't find the 3221 in www.jessops.com They are the biggest chain photography store in the UK, so it should be in there. what does the 3221 looks like? if the model number is different, may be I can match it by weight, spec...

And I on;y found the Pro ball head, not a silk one. are they the same?

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #100 of 105
Re: photo.net -- No, there's no other site that's better for photography. Of course, as a moderator there, I'm biased.
wink.gif

Re: Tripods. A stable tripod is an absolute necessity. I have a Bogen 3221, which I like very much. You'll take sharper pictures with a consumer zoom lens, a tripod, and good technique than you will with a prime lens and good technique alone. A prime lens, good technique, and a tripod will yield very impressive shots.

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #102 of 105
According to the Manfrotto website, the 055NAT2 is the 3221.

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #103 of 105
cheers, it's call the Manfrotto Classic Nature Tripod over here, confusing stuff. And what's the difference between the 3221 & the 3021PRO? They look identical to me, both has a spirit level, why is one better for Nature? Since they both can have a Ball head attach. It shouldn't be any difference, and I might get 2 heads (one 3 point and 1 ball) and change them when I take architectual/portraits and use the Ball head when I am in the countryside.

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #104 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Music is my only hobby and I spend more on making music than listening to it.

Hey, jopi, do you have an ADAT? We should do a head-fi collab. Anyone else out there have an ADAT?

Feb 24, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #105 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Hey, jopi, do you have an ADAT? We should do a head-fi collab. Anyone else out there have an ADAT?

I'm not sure what an ADAT is. The accordion has MIDI built in and I have an interface to the computer, but I only use it when I have to play noiselessly over headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back