do you have or get tinnitus?
Jan 13, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 45
I'm an OLD GUY (I'm guessing that 55 is probably old in the context of this forum) and I have a couple of friends who suffered some permanent hearing loss as a result of going to many live rock concerts and sitting right up close to the speakers. That was a little sobering to discover.

Maybe six years ago I bought Ety's and started listening with these IEM's turned up quite loud. I did this for a couple of years, probably. I figured that the kinds of music I listen to are SUPPOSED to be played loud, so that's how it sounds best. This is actually probably true, but I started to experience some ringing in my ears at night.

It was nothing "terrible," but I figured it could only get worse. I talked to my doctor and he told me that I would be a fool to keep listening with my Ety's at really high volumes, that he's seen too many people a decade or so down the road from where I was end up with permanent hearing problems.

My first reaction was kind of dismissive, i.e., "Yeah, but that wouldn't happen to ME." Etc. But fairly quickly, I realized that this was the boilerplate denial response of anyone who is trying to avoid taking to heart the possible bad effects of something they eat/drink/smoke/do. I got the message.

So I actually didn't listen to music much with headphones at all for about 2-3 years. The tinnitis disappeared, for which I am thankful. But I gather that since I had it before I am more susceptible to suffering this damage again than if I never had experienced this.

So I do worry about tinnitis, since I've experienced a bit of it. I sometimes have to fight that urge to turn the volume up to "live concert" levels.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 45
My tinnitus started with a nasty ear infection 1.5 years ago.

But even though it started with an illness, I'm not sure if it was entirely caused by it. I'm a trumpet player and played without earplugs as anyone else. In a big-band, salsa-band or even a marching band it gets really loud. And I've played in those kind of settings for years. I also went to a nightclub a few times without protection. But I'm sure headphone and speaker listening is NOT the cause of my tinnitus.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 45
I got tinnitus about ten-years-ago working in a machine shop. Constant use of compressed air caused it. I was also doing FOH sound in local bars at the time. The audiologist I went to said it was mild in my case. If mine is mild, I'd hate to have it bad. I hear constant noise in my ears at all times. It's especially bad when I watch TV at night in bed. Sometimes I can hardly hear the dialog through the noise I have in my ears.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #22 of 45
Well, I doubt my tinnitis was caused by listening to music loud since my hearing is too sensitive to be able to handle it. People have repeatedly commented on my being unusually sensitive hearing-wise. My tinnitis seems rather loud now, as I can hear it right now in my room over the laptop's fan. However, if I play music I can't really hear it. Again, it seems like my brain amplifies it tremendously, as it does with everything else. Still, it does bug me...I hope it dissipates. I wish I hadn't gotten the illness
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #23 of 45
The doctor says I have stress-related tinnitus. On relaxed days I hardly hear any ringing at all. Apparently it's some stiffening muscles in the back of the neck. A bit of peppermint spray also helps but that thing smells so strong.

Most people may already know it but tinnitus is only a symptom and not an actual problem by itself.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #25 of 45
after concerts it's very present , but not in the form that happens randomly and when I'm little weak ( ill for ex. ) ; after concerts I have bloat veiled audio
biggrin.gif
that last some hours ( a day ) ; instead sometimes it happens ( rarely - sometimes it doesn't appear for months , other times it becomes quite frequent ) a tinnitus in the form of an high frq. ringing that lasts for some seconds and then delicately disappears ; but i consider this form of tinnitus a normal happening related to stressful periods , it just means I need to relax bit more on my life , and i do .

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Another is the auditory equivalent of seeing things that aren't there. It's somewhat interesting that when we close our eyes in a pitch black room, we still see colours, swirls and all sorts of things that cannot possibly be triggered by light entering the eye. We never actually see pitch black. Yet people rarely consider this a medical condition, nor do they complain about it...

Oh great. Not only do I have tinnitus but I now realize I have eye tinnitus.

I agree most/all people have tinnitus to a varying degree. I never knew I had it until I discovered this site. I always thought it was the sound of silence. Oddly enough I have excelent hearing. I had a hearing test done and the doc said my hearing is right in the middle of a human and a dog. BTW I listen to headphones at an absurdly low volume.

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #28 of 45
*sigh*
Count me in the "from some other" list. Known causes for it, outside of genetics, are either exposure to loud sounds or a blow to the head. At age 4 or so I walked straight into some fat kid on a rope swing. I hit the ground like the proverbial ton of bricks, and still remember waking up staring at the sky. I also abused my ears as a teen, so I've got a good dose of tinnitus. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. It's obtrusive, irritating and sometimes emotionally frustrating. And there is no cure. Yes, you can get it from colds, stress, and the like. All I can say from this side of the fence is: be good to your hearing. There is no going back. Gah!

However, my headphones don't irritate it unless I have a really long evening of music and gaming going on. My big rig audio system downstairs doesn't bother it either, thankfully. Like others here, music is a great way to cover it all up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Another is the auditory equivalent of seeing things that aren't there.

Well, for some people it really is there. What happens is a certain patch of frequencies are damaged with your hearing; The cillia in your ears get damaged. However, the nerves connected to those damaged cillia are still working and have no idea that the cillia are not sending "data". The nerves basically send garbage to your brain, which is interpreted as noise.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening!
icon10.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by calicocourt
I got tinnitus about ten-years-ago working in a machine shop. Constant use of compressed air caused it. I was also doing FOH sound in local bars at the time. The audiologist I went to said it was mild in my case. If mine is mild, I'd hate to have it bad. I hear constant noise in my ears at all times. It's especially bad when I watch TV at night in bed. Sometimes I can hardly hear the dialog through the noise I have in my ears.

Yeah, watching TV at night is a pain... when you have to struggle to hear the dialog, you notice the tinnitus more

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #30 of 45
I don't have tinnitus but I am ultra-sensative, and it can cause problems. And I don't mean this in the "I'm so cool because I can hear so well sense", I mean often have to leave a room because a computer monitor or a television or a light is giving off a tone that's just piercing.

In the 80's when I was young my brother got a Commodore 64, and whenever he would use it I would cry and want to leave. My parents had no idea what was going on, I just told them that my ears hurt, finally they connected my pain to the monitor of the 64.

So I can relate to having constant pitch in your ears, especially when I'm in an environment that I can't control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back