Do you have a "Problem Ear"?
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
By problem ear I mean....does one of your ears, or possibly both give you a lot of trouble when trying to get a seal with IEMs, or even just getting comfortable with IEMs. For me, my problem ear has always been my right ear. When I was trying to get it fit for it with my UE10s, it was insanely hard and I never was satisfied. Even with universals, it gives me more problems than my left.

How about you?

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 29
My left ear tightens up much faster than my right ear canal and if i am not careful i will end up with a muffled left side - even when I get it right it might not sound 100% balanced. However, I have figured out how to get it right most of the time.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 29
seems like a majority at the left ear at this point of time^^

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 29
No problem over here. Just plug-and-play in both ears..
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 29
I've been through well over a dozen universal IEM's and 3 customs, and have had a problem with fit in the left ear every time to varying degrees. The customs have helped solve the issue mostly, but I still have a slight degree of fit issues with them.

Judging from the impressions I've made several times, my left ear canal is nearly straight. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 29
My left ear loves to break seal, or not seal at all, with pretty much any silicone sleeve in existence.

Fortunately there are foams. They work just fine, but I wish more companies than Shure would make reusable (read: washable) foams. I'm still pissed off that Comply foams are so damn comfortable yet terribly expensive and totally not reusable.

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 29
Left. Triflanges for Shures are too big, yellow foamies hurt after awhile, and with tips that fit well, I have to very quick about inserting them (short Comply and small "olive"). I have maybe a 1 second window between properly rolling and being able to get them in far enough.

If I'm having allergy issues or anything (a little swelling), I just can't do it.

My right ear is no big deal. The canal is also small, but not as small, and that first tightening/bend in the canal is about 1/4" further in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still pissed off that Comply foams are so damn comfortable yet terribly expensive and totally not reusable.

Huh? I get 3 months or so out of a pair of Comply tips, these days.

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@rjgarcia

use different tip size for both sides.

I have considered that, but the problem is the bi-flanges for the TF10s are the only ones that are even close to fitting since my canals are small..
redface.gif

I even have issues with the Comply tips..
wink.gif

-Robert

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #15 of 29
right side. i have shallow ear canals (not blocked, had the doctor look at them recently when i was considering IEM's / tri-flanges, but no blockage). on cheaper ear phones i find the quality or thickness of the sleeves plays a part, plus, i always thought my ears were big - turns out i do get a better seal with mediums after all (i realised i spent more time fighting with the large size).

but right side partly because when i yawn that ear un-seals. may also be because of asymetrical cords.

i'm possibly upgrading to something this week but if i'm always 'tuning' in to my right ear i may just get some cans & have done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back