Do you guys think I need a DAC with my Valhalla 2?
Feb 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DonRoger

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I bought the Schiit Valhalla 2 and the HD650 more than a year ago ( almost 2 years I guess ), I love it but I wonder if I can improve my experience with a DAC. Right now my amp is directly plugged into my PC ( I've got a Realtek High Definition Audio on my PC). I hope you guys can help me out!

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello!
I bought the Schiit Valhalla 2 and the HD650 more than a year ago (almost 2 years I guess ), I love it but I wonder if I can improve my experience with a DAC. Right now my amp is directly plugged into my PC (I've got a Realtek High Definition Audio on my PC). I hope you guys can help me out!

Get a used (eBay) Asus Xonar DX sound card, comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip.
Plug your head amp into the DX card.

Hifimediy has DACs, maybe something in the $42-$70 range.

Schiit Modi DAC.
(used off eBay?)

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello!
I bought the Schiit Valhalla 2 and the HD650 more than a year ago ( almost 2 years I guess ), I love it but I wonder if I can improve my experience with a DAC. Right now my amp is directly plugged into my PC ( I've got a Realtek High Definition Audio on my PC). I hope you guys can help me out!
Depends on how much you want to spend.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 7

I'd get a Bifrost but that's more of how they look stacked on each other than the sound quality. Not that there isn't any to be gained, but for $350, you might not appreciate the expense just for that alone.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 7
If you can afford a Schiit multibit I would go that way if you can.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for your feedback! I want to spend like 100 to 150 euro's ( maybe up to 200 ), so I am looking at the Modi 2. Do you guys think the Modi 2 good enough with my Valhalla 2?

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for your feedback! I want to spend like 100 to 150 euro's ( maybe up to 200 ), so I am looking at the Modi 2. Do you guys think the Modi 2 good enough with my Valhalla 2?
It is a fine dac so no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back