Do you guys like war movies?
Mar 27, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 20
Platoon was my favorite - saving private ryan definately and braveheart.

Band of brothers was a great series too.

Worst war movie ever seen was - thin red line. I actually was looking at the roof and how they built the theater during the movie it was so bad. Poetry and battle do not mix.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worst war movie ever seen was - thin red line. I actually was looking at the roof and how they built the theater during the movie it was so bad. Poetry and battle do not mix.

The dichotomy is one of the reasons I like Thin Red Line.

Apocalypse Now is head and shoulders above everything else, imo. I do love Platoon and Full Metal Jacket as well, though.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by discoscience /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paths of Glory is my favorite war film.

That last scene always kills me.

isn't that the French Movie..need to watch that one..

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Apocalypse Now is head and shoulders above everything else...and Full Metal Jacket as well...

^^^THAT^^^

+ The Deer Hunter

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't that the French Movie..need to watch that one..

Not French, but it does involve French soldiers during the Great War. It was actually one of Stanley Kubrick's first films. I still consider it his best.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Poetry and battle do not mix.

The Samurai would disagree!

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dichotomy is one of the reasons I like Thin Red Line.

Apocalypse Now is head and shoulders above everything else, imo. I do love Platoon and Full Metal Jacket as well, though.

OK - for my preference, poetry and war does not work. FMJ is a very good movie, not above the rest though. Another is Tora Tora Tora... I could go on all day.

I guess there is an audience that wants to get into the deep philosophical ideas during war movies, but I like them raw. Drop me into the experience as if I was there. Don't sugar coat it or get artsy with it.

With all other genres (even comedy), I like a deeper intellectual approach but like war itself, I like it delivered raw and ugly.

Mar 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 20
I like war movies very much, my personal favorites would be "Das boot" and "Come and see", with movies like "Apocolypse now", "Platoon", "the thin red line" etc taking the next category. "Saving private Ryan" I very much enjoyed the first times I watched it, but in the end I found only the cinematography to be the stong hold of the movie not much else.

Of the older more 'fun' warmovies I enjoy "Where Eagles Dare" which has one of the greatest themes of all time :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back