Do you guys clean the most expensive part of the audiophile setup, your ears?
Oct 8, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 38
I just use Dust-off. Works very well.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #17 of 38
I, on occasion, use this weird candle like method of removing wax...You basically put a hollow candle (basically a long wax cone) in your ear, then light the top. The smoke somehow pushes the earwax into the tube, and thus out of your ear.

It works something like that...all I know is it's awesome.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #18 of 38
Well, I have always had trouble with excessive wax. I have to clean my ears at least once a day, because I can actually feel the wax in the lower part of my ear. I try not to actually clean inside of the canal, but sometimes I do.

As to Joeywhat, I have heard that is a bunch of BS! The stuff that comes out of your ear is said to be the wax from the candle. I do not recommend doing it.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, on occasion, use this weird candle like method of removing wax...You basically put a hollow candle (basically a long wax cone) in your ear, then light the top. The smoke somehow pushes the earwax into the tube, and thus out of your ear.

Oh hey, I remember hearing about that. They were marketing it as a new age healing technique.

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #20 of 38
hmmm.. I just use my Q-tips when I get water in my ears after a shower.. the warm water seems to make it easier to get those ear wax "particles" out.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #22 of 38
I use Q-tips pretty much every morning not necessarily to keep my ears clean but more often to try my ear canal so my Etymotic IEMs don't get wet upon insertion, because I have ruined filters this way and have also had strange suction problems with the silicone tri-flanges.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that pushes the wax deeper

at least use olive oil on the tips to disolve it, then rinse it out afterwards.

Interesting... olive oil breaks down wax?

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by madman91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh... You have to clean them?!?!?! How exactly do they get _dirty_ ? I have never had such a problem. Even with IEM's.

Some people's ears create more wax than others. I don't have much problem with it myself. I just clean my ears every once in a while when I notice excessive wax. I picked up a simple cleaning solution from a local pharmacy. It says it can be used daily but I probably only use it once every two to three weeks or so. Apparently it's based around sea water or something. It's not harsh but it keeps them clean.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm.. I just use my Q-tips when I get water in my ears after a shower.. the warm water seems to make it easier to get those ear wax "particles" out.

x2 .. Can't stand the feeling of water in my ears.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

I have read that candling can in fact be dangerous, and is not as effective as it appears. The wax you find in the cone is actually from the cone. Check this link:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery.../candling.html

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #27 of 38
haha when I read about the candle post, first thing that popped in my mind was the Shrek scene where he takes out his earwax and uses it as a candle. Of course, thats just my weird mind..

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #28 of 38
Heh...the candle trick works for me...I do think I can tell when there is still wax in my ear...

We (my family) don't have it done at some health spa or anything, though, so that might have an effect.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Heh...the candle trick works for me...I do think I can tell when there is still wax in my ear...

We (my family) don't have it done at some health spa or anything, though, so that might have an effect.

The "candle trick" does nothing to remove wax, no matter where or how you do it. The wax you see afterwards came from the candle itself. It may make you feel better, but the only thing it can potentially do is add wax to your ears, not remove any. It's even illegal to sell them in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back