Do you guys buy headphones with different sound signatures or keep to what you like?
Aug 16, 2012 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tight_budget

Head-Fier
I generally prefer tube-like and laid back sounding phones, I have the HD600 and TDK BA200 IEMs which fit the bill. I'm also looking to buy a set of portable headphones which would be an upgrade over the TDKs. At first I was aiming for the AudioTechnica ESW9 which fits my preferences, but then again I'm wondering if I should get something that sounds completely different from what I already have.

Although I do listen to mostly jazz, classical, and easy listening stuff, I do like the occasional rock song. What do you guys do?

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I generally prefer tube-like and laid back sounding phones, I have the HD600 and TDK BA200 IEMs which fit the bill. I'm also looking to buy a set of portable headphones which would be an upgrade over the TDKs. At first I was aiming for the AudioTechnica ESW9 which fits my preferences, but then again I'm wondering if I should get something that sounds completely different from what I already have.

Although I do listen to mostly jazz, classical, and easy listening stuff, I do like the occasional rock song. What do you guys do?

A lot of times it's a good idea to have a complimentary headphone to whatever x headphone you currently own.
Considering no 1 headphone does it all, it'll provide ya a nice balance.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
What portable headphone would you recommend that has the opposite sound from the Senn HD600?
A grado? I'm worried about the clamping force of the grados.

The HD600 is more on the neutral side, try a very colored headphone.

I won't speak towards Grados, it'd only be bias. I don't like bright cans and 
I'll leave it at that. 

I don't find the comfort of Grados to be too terrible.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
What portable headphone would you recommend that has the opposite sound from the Senn HD600?
A grado? I'm worried about the clamping force of the grados.

The Senn HD600 is neutral, with a touch of warmth. I'd go for something analytical or bright. Grado might be the opposite. The comfort of the Grados is worse than that of the HD600, but not terrible. Hated the "wall of sound" effect though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back