Do you find the emu 1212m boring?
Apr 2, 2005 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
Am I the only person who does not find the emu 1212m that boring? I upgraded from a terratec dmx 6 fire and yes it is less punchy/lively than it, but not by much imo. It is definitely not the most lively card, but I don't find it boring. This is stock. Am I the only person with this opinion?lol

Apr 2, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 47
It's all relative to what you've experienced, personal preferences, and system components. I think a stock 1212m and 1820m are not that dynamic sounding enough for me. As you probably read in my old impressions, I prefer 0404.

Apr 2, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 47
I do not find the 1212m boring at all, again it is totally your preference, I prefer the 1212m to the 0404, while others feel the opposite. I find the 1212m very 'fun' because I have FUN when I listen to it :p
600smile.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 47
Not at all! As Ian said that is relative to the SB Live/Soundstorm I upgraded from, there's no comparison.

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 47
I'll take the more realistic (IMO), natural sound of the 1212M over the more artificial-sounding 0404 any day. The 1212M is not boring at all - it's dynamic and detailed, but simply less aggressive than the 0404. If one finds the 1212M boring it could be the music...
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 47
Far from boring, I find the 1212m to be exciting, dynamic, & detailed, with a full, impactful bass, great mids, and sweet highs. I'm still amazed at the sound quality I now get from my computer, which is miles above what my last soundcard, the Terratec EWX 24/96 delivered (and at the time, I was very satisfied with the Terratec).

I haven't tried the 0404, and so, can't offer an opinion about it, but I've been a bit puzzled up until now by the number of 1212m detractors. I can now see, though, that I'm not alone in finding the 1212m to be. . . dare I say it? FUN FUN FUN!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 47
The 1212 is not boring. Smooth yes, but not boring. It's very detailed and it's very nice to hear so much inner detail from the recordings. The 1212M is very smooth, balanced, neutral, and natural-sounding with good midrange. It's great for acoustic music, but it doesn't have the bright edge or extra bass impact that might be preferred for music thats really overproduced with lots of digital effects and processing. I have not heard the 0404 but I assume it would be better for that application. To me the 1212M is 'perfect' in it's price range, because it doesn't have any glaring faults like a lot of cd players do, cost less money, can be used on a pc with a digital audio collection, and I think it's most prominent quality is the amount of detail it reveals. And it's definately musical and fun, for me at least - but I would probably recommend the 0404 (based on what I've read) over the 1212M if you are head-banger or hardcore rap head, or listen to bright commercial pop music, etc. vs. good old-fashioned acoustic instruments and vocals. I listen to the latter almost exclusively, so the 1212M is the perfect card for my tastes.

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 47
Someone please tell me what the most 'boring' soundcard (headphone, amp, etc) is, as it's probably offering the truest presentation of the music.

"Boring" audio components rule. Particularly those that sound boring on first impression (at meets and such) -- almost always a mark of audio excellence AFAIC.

Apr 3, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 47
I haven't hooked up my 1212M to a comp yet, but I would think that one would want a more neutral source no matter what, and have the headphones and/or amp color the sound to his/her heart's content. (or doesn't it work like that?)

Apr 3, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Someone please tell me what the most 'boring' soundcard (headphone, amp, etc) is, as it's probably offering the truest presentation of the music.

"Boring" audio components rule. Particularly those that sound boring on first impression (at meets and such) -- almost always a mark of audio excellence AFAIC.

That was my experience with the Vandersteen 1C when I first heard it. But as I listened to it more in my home I realized it was simply just being true to the music and not adding a lot of coloration, and that it really was amazing.

Apr 3, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 47
Just making sure I wasn't crazy.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch

glad to see you around again! try some CMI onboard AC97 codec, that is the audio excellence you must be looking for
smily_headphones1.gif
and for standalones, try lineout of some subpar discman, I think you'll be happy!
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
glad to see you around again! try some CMI onboard AC97 codec, that is the audio excellence you must be looking for
smily_headphones1.gif
and for standalones, try lineout of some subpar discman, I think you'll be happy!
biggrin.gif

Ummm... I said boring, not ugly...
biggrin.gif

P.S. glad to be here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
Just making sure I wasn't crazy.
biggrin.gif

Shouldn't you change your sig now?
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 47
Fewtch: glad you are aroud more now. I really enjoyed reading your posts last year.

As far as my 1212M. I think neutral is a good word to describe it. Everything sounds like it should, and nothing is over emphasized or hidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back