do you feel your ears adapt?
Feb 27, 2009 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zantetsuken

100+ Head-Fier
i sometimes feel that when i have a ****ty pair of phones on..they sound crap initially..but after a while they start sounding normal...is it just me or do our ears adapt?

discuss.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Yeah my ears/brain take a few minutes to get acquainted with the different sound signatures of the 3 main headphones/iems that I use. I think it's a normal thing for most people.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 7
anyone know why this happens? i feel even 2 dollar headphones sound good after a while..which feels weird..although u know theyre worthless...they still sound good..ive not had alot of experience with expensive gear..is this why?..or does this happen to everyone else as well?

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 7
It's not that crappy headphones start to sound good, you just get used to them. At the end of the day though, they still sound like crap.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, it happens to everybody, or at least should. Its how your brain works. Did you know that if you have a white noise track playing in the background (that static sound that plays on your tv if its tuned to a channel where nothing is coming in), and you aren't actively paying attention to it, that your brain will eventually just "tune it out" and you have to try to pay attention to it to hear it again. If the brain can tune that out, it can tune out the defects in iPod earbuds.

However, what the brain can't do is make bad headphones pick up details that they just aren't able to pick up. Your brain can "tune out" some noise, but in the process you're going to start losing some detail. That's why the "sound" is okay, your brain justs adjusts, but you also sacrifice a lot of detail. Where with good headphones, there isn't as much adjusting for your brain to do, so you hear more detail.

That's way over-simplified, but it gives you a basic idea. THis mainly applies to phones that bring a lot of noise into the equation or have weird spikes. It also tends to work better on stuff you are familiar with, or at least sounds familiar. That is, your brain kind of knows what its supposed to sound like.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not that crappy headphones start to sound good, you just get used to them. At the end of the day though, they still sound like crap.

totally, I have several pairs of headphones that at one time I thought sounded great, however I talked with my roommate about headphones, he turned me on to this forum and in short order I have the D5000s and using his go-vibe amp until my compass gets here.

I can say that I am never going back to those crappy phones or anything less than I have now, my ears have adjusted to the good sh!t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back