Do you ever feel it's all passing you by?
Oct 20, 2006 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Just lately I've been noticing that everything technology related has become more and more of a chore to cope with. Simple things like e-mailing, updating my website, ordering parts online.... in fact even posting here.... it all seems to be going faster than I can keep up with and am finding it increasingly hard to get back into the online groove.

Hell, I used to sit at a computer for 14 hours a day, without fail, and was up with all the latest technology, searching around for info.... the works, but now I just sit and stare at the screen and little else when I'm online.

Not just online either, I feel that general "life" is passing me by too. I remember the days where I'd wake up, shake my hair out and be off to work in minutes.... nowadays it seems to take me hours just to wake up
tongue.gif
Got a painter in at the moment, a bit older than me, and we were chatting away about hair loss, the lack of middle aged single women, tooth loss, aches and pains and getting older in general... seems I'm not the only one who feels things are passing me by fast There were "bursts" of teenage like (very male) banter in our conversation but mostly it centred around getting "old" and it got me to thinking.......

Just when did I crossover from being a bloke who used to spend his life in the fast lane dating chicks and generally having a blast to this crusty, tired old coot who now spends him time talking about fence preservatives and where to find a good dentist? years ago the morning after convo was all about the grooves they were playing at the club, the chicks, what we did with the chicks, where we were going to go the following night..... it was lively, it was positive and it was fun.... not a care in the world.

Now all I talk about is aches and pains, how good it used to be, how bad it is now, how much worse it's going to get, is it worth living.... yada yada yada, so on and so forth. What the hell has happened? If this is what getting old is all about I wish I'd died before I got old (as The Who say)

I can live with my body rotting away over the years (just) but can't accept my mind changing into this grim, negative state.... it's just not me. The painter guy is a fair bit older than me (57) but he only looks in his 40's thanks to his mop of hair, attitude and with it dress style, he reckons we should both go into town and "boogie down" into the early hours of the morning one of these days... well, I'm not sure if that's the answer but maybe it is? Maybe all I need to do is strut my tailfeather on the dancefloor once again and that will shake the cobwebs loose.... a bit of flirting with women, a bit of dancing, a rework on my attitude back to my "enjoy life to the full" way of thinking.......

I don't know but life is definitely passing me by at the present time and, hell, the powers that be must be keeping secret the fact that the world is spinning faster.... where there used to be 24 hours in a day it seems like there are only 5.... no sooner are you awake you're asleep again..... Age has this effect, I know, time passes faster the older you get but ****! time is moving way too fast at the moment
eek.gif
It's possible the earth is spinning faster and we're all about to fly into outer space but I still hear youngsters complain about "how long" the day is so maybe this time goes faster the older you get thing is fact.

No rhyme or reason to this post, I'm just typing a la carte, but I hope there are parts of it that some of you guys can identify with? I bloody hope so! Wouldn't like to think I'm the only miserable person on the planet
tongue.gif

Off to fire up some Hardcore P-Funk (parliament funkadelic / George clinton) and see if it still hits the spot <Yowsa!> Better get my booty prepared in case it has to funk with some foxy chick..... (probably look at me as if I'm from Mars in a club these days if I ask for some hardcore P-Funk
tongue.gif
) For any funkateers out there a visit to the mothership is only a click away
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 27
i think what you need is a good exercise routine, it would give you a lot more energy during the day. I can really tell the difference now that I've stopped going to the gym for about a year, I have about 30% of the energy I did back then. It seems like I'm always tired even though I get 8 hours of sleep at night. (I used to get 5 hours of sleep a night and the day would get by just fine.) Also I've noticed a more pecimistic attitude, woe is me, life is so tough, and just generally more gloomy than before.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
i think what you need is a good exercise routine, it would give you a lot more energy during the day. I can really tell the difference now that I've stopped going to the gym for about a year, I have about 30% of the energy I did back then. It seems like I'm always tired even though I get 8 hours of sleep at night. (I used to get 5 hours of sleep a night and the day would get by just fine.) Also I've noticed a more pecimistic attitude, woe is me, life is so tough, and just generally more gloomy than before.

As much as I see where you're coming from I just don't / can't be doing with unnecessary movement. I don't mind exchanging juices / physical effort with a woman (involves a modicum of hip motion) but self abuse, such as jogging or spending time in a gym..... I just refuse to expose my body to that oxygen free, cramped, artificial environment. Exercise for exercise sake is like beating yourself on the forehead with a large hammer, trust me (without me going into major detail) artificial exercise is BAD for you, if it doesn't **** you physically it'll soon **** your head in mentally .... walking on a "machine" for 30 minutes every day?? get a grip, that's perversity.... get out and walk in the countryside and sniff the ****in roses.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
As much as I see where you're coming from I just don't / can't be doing with unnecessary movement. I don't mind exchanging juices / physical effort with a woman (involves a modicum of hip motion) but self abuse, such as jogging or spending time in a gym..... I just refuse to expose my body to that oxygen free, cramped, artificial environment. Exercise for exercise sake is like beating yourself on the forehead with a large hammer, trust me (without me going into major detail) artificial exercise is BAD for you, if it doesn't **** you physically it'll soon **** your head in mentally .... walking on a "machine" for 30 minutes every day?? get a grip, that's perversity.... get out and walk in the countryside and sniff the ****in roses.

I spend about 5 days a week, at about 45 minutes a pop in the gym, and I dont think I could enjoy life any better then when I didn't do that. Its all in how your manage it, or use it, not if its artificial or not.

Life always seems to pass us, but to slow it down, think about the good things, and remember them each day. Humans think in a negative light. So if you have 7 days in a row, that were fun, and you enjoyed, and then 3 days that were horrible, and you look back on those in a few weeks, months, you will only remember what stood out in the "boring, no life" type of role" because the good days are "expected" and you then forget about them.

Think to yourself, what have I improved in, the past weeks or months, how am I a smarter person, how did I advance, as my own self. If you can never find answer, then its time to start making headlines for yourself, to remember

Oct 21, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Just when did I crossover from being a bloke who used to spend his life in the fast lane dating chicks and generally having a blast to this crusty, tired old coot who now spends him time talking about fence preservatives and where to find a good dentist?

rofl.gif

I burst out laughing at work reading that!

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

exercise is exercise, doesnt matter if its on a treadmill or a walk in the country side. If thats what blows your whistle then do some hiking each weekend. Rock climbing, swimming, mountain biking etc. Noone said exercise had to be painful! Also watching your diet will also help loads with your energy. I never really believed it until more recently when I haven't eaten right or at the right times and I feel miserable.

This summer I went on a jog with my friend. I am not a runner at all, down the block sprint is all I'm good for. He warned me about eating a proper meal and water a few hours prior but I figured pish posh, I'm not a diabetic or an elderly person that needs to stay regular. Hungry children in Africa starve for days on end I doubt a few hours would make any difference. Well we jogged for 45 minutes which I can honestly say was the longest and hardest run in my life. I died many times over during that run but for some perverse reason like you mentioned pinky, kept pushing myself. Machochistic, I know. When we finally stopped I couldn't see straight nor stand up. I sat on the ground with my head between my knees (yes, after walking it off), making whimpering noises and on the verge of dry heaving. It felt like a night of heavy drinking and too much nicotine, or the time when I smoked a cigar for 3 hours on an empty stomach. Well my friend took me inside and fixed me a big meal with plenty of carbs and water. Minutes after finishing the meal I was already beginning to feel better, no doubt my blood sugar levels or whatever the heck was wrong with my body was fixed by a proper meal and hydration.
What was the point of this story again? Ah yes diet. Ermm, you should pay attention to it.
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 27
pinkie get out there and interfere with a woman sexually right away (with her consent, of course).

Oct 21, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 27
It's simply better not to keep thinking about these issues. Life has, is, and will pass by gazillions folks on earth, and you (or I) will not escape it.

Unless you are willing to cheat the system by getting religion (not a bad idea, actually), it's just better not to dwell on it...

Oct 21, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 27
Sometimes I feel like the world is passing me by, but then I realize the light has turned green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back